News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Are princess secretarial sets rare?

Started by WesternElectricBen, December 07, 2013, 11:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Issue 1, Section 502-701-101 (Feb. 1970) shows in Figure 4 the modification and connections for using a 712B for "1-line Pickup, Hold and Secretarial Service."

Blue-White pair of set connects to "Line 1" [Central Office]
Brown-White pair of set connects to "Line 2 (SECY LINE)"
W-O/V-S of set connect "TO ANS JK CKT (SECY LINE)"

When the key is turned, the set is connected to Line 2 (which I believe is the manual line from the PBX). Also, using *additional* contacts ("m," "n," "v," "w") in the line key, the central office line is connected to the ANS JACK in the PBX when the key is in the Line 2 position, so that the receptionist can answer the c.o. calls to the absent tenant's number.

"To modify 712B set as shown, move (W-O) line key lead from terminal G of network to Terminal 3 of Terminal Strip."

Modification and connection for 2712B on Secretarial Service is shown in 502-703-101.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

David,

I believe we're on the same page.  John's description tells a bit more about HOW the Secretarial Service communicates with the user.

Quote from: poplar1 on December 08, 2013, 01:43:59 PM

The turnkey circuit is rewired or modified to connect a third pair(really the second pair ) to line one when the phone is switched to line two (the manual PBX line) the user then leaves the phone in this mode, and the secretarial cordboard can answer line one, and communicate if necessary to the user over line two. These were almost always installed with a second ringer, usually E1, and usually for the manual PBX line.

John Novack

The CO line goes to the subscriber's telephone.

When switched to the Secretarial Service, it is routed by the key through a second pair in the mounting cord that goes from the phone to the service switchboard so they can answer the call.

If the service operator needs to contact the subscriber, a separate line from the service's PBX is needed (third pair in the mounting cord), as is a separate ringer at the subscriber's location.  When the key is in the Secretarial position, this is the active line on the subscriber's set.  The subscriber can only answer an incoming call if he/she switches the key back to the Telephohe Line position.

Having two ringers or a ringer and a buzzer lets the subscriber know if the call originates from the CO line or service.

I haven't taken the time to confirm this in the BSPs, but trust John's description.  Anyone is welcome to examine the BSPs and or set wiring and confirm this.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

To summarize:

711B= 2 lines, exclusion and signal---line switch on front of base

712B= 2 lines, hold on one line, and signal; left plunger can be rewired for exclusion instead of hold

712BC=1 c.o. line, 1 secretarial line; line key switches the line picked up, but also transfers ringing of the c.o. line to the attendant. No hold or exclusion; both plungers are clear.

713B= 2 lines, hold on both lines, signal. Most likely found in large résidences.

Since "secretarial" as used by the Bell System refers to functions such as an answering service, it would probably be misleading to refer to every 713B as a "secretarial" set.

It would probably be more accurate to refer to a 713B as a 2-line Touch-Tone Princess.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Thank you Guys, from what you were all contributing, I managed to scrunch it down to a page and a half of  quick info. Which I will add to my humble website.

Link: https://sites.google.com/site/retrovintageitems27tps/home/princess-phones

Ben