News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gonna' be a fight over this one!

Started by McHeath, February 15, 2010, 01:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

I'm figuring that we are all going to get into a major bidding war over this sweet find.  You don't see 554s in this kind of NIB, NOS, untouched and all original condition very much. 

http://tinyurl.com/yddzasz ( dead link 08-25-21 )

Craig T

MCHEATH, MAN, I cannot believe you just posted this ultra rare roller coaster hook phone! This phone also has the scarcely seen farmer's tan finish!
I believe the cases were only issued with white rectangles on them for 2 months, I think the third shift during December and January.

I only hope it stays in my range  :o  ;) ;D

Craig T

Sorry, double post. Looks like it is time for Junior to go to bed  :-[

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Craig T on February 15, 2010, 01:34:41 AM
MCHEATH, MAN, I cannot believe you just posted this ultra rare roller coaster hook phone! This phone also has the scarcely seen farmer's tan finish!
I believe the cases were only issued with white rectangles on them for 2 months, I think the third shift during December and January.

I only hope it stays in my range  :o  ;) ;D

My price range on this one is "free", but only if the people are nice. If they dug it out to show me at their yard sale I might go $2, I would rather suggest they leave it out marked $5 andtake $3.
However, I am not into wall phones.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

How do you suppose that someone managed to bend the hook that way without breaking it off of the base?

At any rate, this phone has the special feature of not requiring electricity.  That should add something to the value ;)

Larry

jsowers

Western Electric products were built to take it, and this one took it. I particularly like the rare "moo cow" number card, with all the black spots. That twisted switchhook is something else, though. It looks like what would happen if Briny ate his spinach and got a call from a telemarketer at 2:00 in the morning. :)
Jonathan

bwanna

never seen anything quite like this gem....truly one of a kind! ;)  i really want to bid on it, but since mcheath found it, we should all defer to him :o
donna

LarryInMichigan

McHeath,

Please post more pictures of this treasure after you get it.  I am particularly interested in seeing the part that doesn't require electricity.  Maybe we can start a new thread on methods for straightening switch hooks.

Larry

Greg G.

Well, my "land" line DOES need electricity because it goes through the cable company, there is no POTS around here that I'm aware of.  What areas still have the type of phone service he/she refers to? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

briny....where do you live that POTS service is not available?!?! ??? :o ??? :o as far as i am aware, plain old telephone service is still available everywhere.  unfortunately not everyone subscribes :(  telephone service thru the cable provider is known as VoIP (voice over internet protocol) i guess you could refer to VoIP as a land line, opposed to cell service. in my vernacular a land line is traditional service from a telco central office. :)
donna

McHeath

Yeah I can see that you all are ready to arm-wrestle over this 554!  

The seller says it's in "nice" condition, yet it looks like it did its life service in the mens room of a truck stop on Interstate 40 outside Barstow.  

Would be interested to see the seller idea of a "poor" condition phone.  

Craig T

We would have a lot better shot if we went 50/50 McHeath   :o

Some of these people have deep pockets!!   ;D

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on February 15, 2010, 11:32:58 PM
briny....where do you live that POTS service is not available?!?! ??? :o ??? :o as far as i am aware, plain old telephone service is still available everywhere.  unfortunately not everyone subscribes :(  telephone service thru the cable provider is known as VoIP (voice over internet protocol) i guess you could refer to VoIP as a land line, opposed to cell service. in my vernacular a land line is traditional service from a telco central office. :)

When I search for telephone service in Seattle, all it brings up are cable/internet access companies, Comcast, Qwest, several others.    
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on February 16, 2010, 04:43:35 AM
Quote from: bwanna on February 15, 2010, 11:32:58 PM
briny....where do you live that POTS service is not available?!?! ??? :o ??? :o as far as i am aware, plain old telephone service is still available everywhere.  unfortunately not everyone subscribes :(  telephone service thru the cable provider is known as VoIP (voice over internet protocol) i guess you could refer to VoIP as a land line, opposed to cell service. in my vernacular a land line is traditional service from a telco central office. :)

When I search for telephone service in Seattle, all it brings up are cable/internet access companies, Comcast, Qwest, several others.    

I have DSL and Pots thru Qwest in Colorado. They try to get me to switch to VOIP, but I havn't.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bwanna

formerly us west (one of the 7 "baby bells")  qwest is is the third largest local line provider (behind at&t, verizon). the other 6 rboc;  ameritech, bell south, pacific telesis & southwest bell-all now owned by at&t...bell atlantic & nynex-now owned by verizon.

qwest does cover most of the state of washington, so, briny if you want plain old telephone service, i think you would contact them.

jim....good for you!! stick to your guns on the VoIP issue. i guess everyone here knows my position on that by now. ;)
donna