News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help openng the back of a Payphone of America from Sesa

Started by Lee58, March 08, 2017, 01:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee58

Does anyone know anything about this phone? I turn the key to unlock back and you can tell it is loosed but will not open.Is there a trick?
Has two weird things on back that I try to push or slide. Please HELP!
I am also sending pic of useless manual instructions.Maybe someone will understand.
Thank you

dsk

Here is how I understand it:

This phone should open along the yellow line. You should first lift straight up, then take/tilt it forward.
If this one has been locked for years, it may be something "gluing" it together, so with some care, apply more force.

dsk

Lee58

Thank you your input is much appreciated. I will give it a try. I do not think anyone has opened this since 1980. So yes it is stuck alright!

twocvbloke

Sometimes a bit of "percussive maintenance" is required for stuck things, if it doesn't come loose, carefully hit it on either side to dislodge any gunk that might be holding the two pieces together... :)

AE_Collector

Does it lift up some amount but then won't tilt forward at the top? Or does it not lift up either?

I have seen AE payphones where stray coins jammed a lock mechanism so it wouldn't unlock, you could gave something jamming the ability to lift and tilt.

While the page from the manual may be "useless" in that it won't work at the moment, I think it is quite valuable in this situation to see what is supposed to happen to open it up.

Terry

Lee58

Thank you. It is still stuck.It will not budge. But I will keep trying.

AE_Collector

How far does the key turn? Maybe it isn't turning far enough to allow any movement. Can you put downward pressure while turning the key to maybe get more travel?

Terry

paul

Also, going by that manual picture, the phone is off hook. If you haven't, have you tried taking the receiver off the hook? There might be some interference inside with its mechanism.

Lee58

I have tried everything . The phone just wont open. But I am so appreciative of everyone's help.

AE_Collector

Lee58

Absolutely no movement. And I promise you I really do not have problems figuring things out. This is puzzling.

AE_Collector

I keep suspecting that while the key likely turns, it turns to the point where it hits something or binds and doesn't turn far enough to actually release the cover.

Terry

Lee58

I agree. I will keep playing with it.Not ready to accept defeat.I envision myself doing this for months! lol
thx for the help

dsk

If you tilt it forward on pillow, and find a piece of wood, and a hammer and gives the back some knocks in different directions, what ever blocking may move, and you do not risk to ruin anything?

Lee58