News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Slightly better setting, I hung the Super Aladdin up at last, hurt my back in the process carrying the ladders, but I got it done regardless and am now relaxing with some pain pills inside me... ;D

Didn't light it as I'm still waiting on my hopeful replacement for the smoke bell/heat diffuser, which may be some time as it's coming from china, and on putting the screws into the ceiling for that pendant mount, the panelling felt rather papery and thin wood-y, so not going to risk setting fire to the ceiling just yet... :o

twocvbloke

And of course, when the Aladdin lamp isn't hung up, I can hang my glass lampshade up there (one of them mail-order DIY kits from the 60s or 70s I believe), I bought the shade off ebay and added a north american style pull-switch lamp socket to it, need to re-wire it again though as the cable I put on it won't reach the existing light fitting which I want to put a bayonet plug on the end of to save wiring it all in, plus the hanging chain is central in the room, whereas the existing light socket is offset to one side of the room which makes for uneven lighting... :)

andy1702

I'm liking that glass shade. Not so sure about the curly light bulb though!  ;D If you want a nice bulb try Wilkos. I noticed the other day they do really nice retro looking clear bulb that apparently are some sort of fancy LED so they meet the modern energy regs etc. They really do look like an ancient fillament bulb though.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

If you look closely, you'll note I have one of them LED filament bulbs in the light fitting behind the aladdin & glass shade, I have a number of them actually, but having used a few for the best part of a year, they haven't lasted all that well (but then, they were bought direct from china!!), two have gone into strobe mode, two I dropped and broke the glass (still work though!), one the stem inside is cracked so the LEDs flop about, and one squeals like a slipping alternator belt (well, the two strobing ones do that too, but much more random now!), but the shade looks nice lit up with one of them Philips Tornado 4100k CFLs, go either way with the colour and it doesn't look right... :)

I also have a "lantern" shape one which is a very pinky-yellow colour, and a blue one, which I like using to add a slightly sky-blue colour to my ceiling mixed with other colours... :)

twocvbloke

Got bored, so played with my lighting with a less-than-safe bit of wiring to light up that shade, completely wandering off topic from the Aladdin, but, it happens... ;D

19and41

I think a white/white bulb would go best with a shade that brings it's own color.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I like to have lights that are toward the cooler end of the spectrum, mostly because I have my sleep disorder so lose a lot of daylight, but this shade does glow nicely with the 4100k and 6500k bulbs, but the LED filament produces the better patterning on the ceiling through the green glass... :)

More messing about now, seeing as I have the chain available to me now, I thought I'd see how well the room lit up with my gas mantle lamps (one of the CampinGaz LumpGaz Plus lanterns I got in 2015 and a cheap chinese thing I bought last year I think), both of them light up nicely, but the chinese lamp is just too loud, it roars a lot, but, useful incase of an emergency at least... :)

I suppose I should try ol' stinky (the blue hurricane lantern) now that I'm busy playing with these things... ;D

twocvbloke

Well, it works, but, it's not that bright, you can tell by how grainy the picture is from my phone's camera trying its best to get as much light in as possible, it looks a lot brighter on camera than it does in person...  ;D

I'll stop now, haven't got anything else to hang up there to illuminate the room... ;D

19and41

It certainly seems that it takes either a Coleman or Aladdin to bring some camera worthy light into a room.   
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Yep, mantle lighting is definitely useful light, but between the Aladdin lamps and the CampinGaz, the Aladdins win, simply because they're quiet and not so scary to light (that WHOOMPF!! of the gas catching always gets me!!)...  ;D

andy1702

I'll never forget lighting a Tilly lamp once and somehow getting flames shooting out of the top of it! Luckily I wasn't in a tent or anything.

I have quite a few ordinary wick lit hurricane lamps that I take to the vintage rallies. I discovered they seem to burn a bit brighter and visually cleaner on ordinary diesel than they do on proper lamp oil or paraffin. I don't know if it would be safe to use inside but out on the rally field it's really good. Some people convert them to electric, but I regard that as cheating.

If you want a really good mantle lamp try a Bialaddin (I think that's how they spell it.) They're a similar idea to a Tilley but they seem to be engineered a bit better and burn brighter.

Andy

twocvbloke

I've looked at Bialaddin lamps, as I've thought about getting a pressure-lamp to add to the collection of mantle lamps, but I'm in no rush at the moment, got to get this lot all sorted out first... :)

As for using diesel, I've seen videos of people using diesel in paraffin lamps and thought of trying it myself, I just haven't gotten round to buying some diesel to try it out yet as I still have two unused hurricane lanterns that could be used as guinea pigs for trying it out... ;D

And electrifying lamps, erm, I guess I'm a cheat... ;D

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16405.msg169985#msg169985

andy1702

Regarding converting to electric, here's an interesting fact told to me by a guy at Transitions Malvern, who look aftre the 100 plus gas street lamps in the area. They say that by fitting efficient burners and reflectors a victorian gas lamp is cheaper to run than a modern LED street lamp and produces similar ammounts of light for it's size.

Andy

twocvbloke

I didn't know they had put gas lamps back into operation anywhere outside of museums (think Beamish (which is near where I live) has them, must go look sometime!), I've never seen a gas mantle streetlamp in operation before, knowing what the Aladdins and the CampinGaz are like, it must be a nice light to shine down on a street... :)

EDIT:
Had a look about, and, I hope that's a typo on that fella's name... :o

https://transitionmalvernhills.org.uk/wp/working/gaslamps/

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke