News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leaks...

Started by twocvbloke, June 21, 2018, 04:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

So I noticed where I'd sat big blue stinky, there were some yellow stains from paraffin fuel, and looking around the rolled crimped base of the lamp, it's rather damp, so, it seems my blue lantern has a bit of a leak around the seams...  ::)

So, making lemonade from lemons, I thought I'd empty the lamp in the laziest possible way, by lighting it... ;D

Next step, if I get round to it, sealing the tank with something, just so the lamp remains useful and not leaky... :)

19and41

Maybe if you could borrow some POR-15 liquid from someone. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

POR-15 is awesome stuff. I have used it on two of my lanterns that had considerable leaks (rust and pin holes) and they haven't had any issues since. It is not the cheapest though, especially if your only fixing one lantern. Could buy a few more rust-buckets to fix up to validate the expense!  ::)

I do recall reading on  the lanternnet (WT Kirkman) site that some type of varnish can also be used for a weeping tank crimp, which might be a good option for you. Check lanternnet.com.... if your not too lazy  ;D

TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

I've looked at POR15, and for a cheap lantern that cost about £7 or 8, one small tin of the POR15 is very pricey, so will look at other options such as the varnishing, it's not a rust leak, it's just the crimp isn't quite as strong as it could be from the factory...