News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 302

Started by Tonyrotary, September 03, 2009, 04:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

Still going through my phones I bought, doing some basic cleaning and noting repairs that need to be made. I started recently on my 302. I took apart the hanset so I could scrub it and found the dates 2/36 on the transmitter and 11/4/38 on the reciever. I opened up the case and foun that the base, ringer and network are matching dates, 11/47. The handset cord is dated 1962. Could not make out the date for the dial. So unfortunately not a matching phone but I still love it.

I started to slowly polish the F1 handset and am sure it will take hours of handpolishing, but that is part of the fun! I will have to wet sand the case due to some heavy scuffs and scratches but the local walmart has wet sandpaper all the way down to 1000 grit so that is good. Question on the handset. I am starting with some 3m automotive rubbing compound and will buy some novous polish later. Is the rubbing compound to harsh?

McHeath

I use auto rubbing compound for my polishing as well, simply because I had it and so did not need to buy something extra.  I get a nice shine on the phones, so it seems to be okay.  (your mileage may vary) ;)

Phonesrfun

In my experience, rubbing compound is good for metal cases that are painted with laquer, like the early 302's, the B1 and D1 mounts and candlesticks.  I find it too harsh for plastics.  Polishing compound is better for plastics.  I believe mine is Turtle Wax.

It is just ever so coarser than Novus #1, and when used on plastics, going through the novus numbers after the polishing compound seems to work well.

-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Actually, Novus1 is the final step of the 3 step process.  #1, in the pump spray bottle is a finish polish.  #3 is the grittiest of the three and #2 is the medium grade polish.

Phonesrfun

oops.  Shows how often I use it.   ::)
-Bill G

Tonyrotary

I just bought some polishing compound made by turte wax taht Phonesrfun mentioned. I like it. I also just bought a ryobi buffer. Hand polishing can get tiring! But slowly I am getting the desired results.

I am also trying something a bit unorthodox. My handset does have the pitting that is common with age. After an hour of polishing by hand, I though if I could fill these pores a bit, the process would be faster. So I tried applying mop n glo. After 4 coats, back to polishing. It seems to have worked. The surface is much smoother and I am starting to get a shine. Will update as I progress. Restoring these phones is fun!

McHeath

Using Mop N Glo is a new one to me, keep us posted on how it works out.  I agree that it's enjoyable to restore these old phones, spend a few hours of time and usually they look great, and they always work to boot. 

HobieSport

Hi Tony (By the way welcome home from deployment!)

I'm just now using a Riobi buffer for the first time, and it's great, just testing it on various plastics / bakelites with simple Novus 2 for now, with good results.

I haven't tried any of the more potent varieties of courser abrasive buffing compounds, such as Turtlewax products or strong chemical concoctions like Brasso (in old or new formula)... but I might try Crest toothpaste just once. ;)

As for bakelite, I'm inexperienced, but my personal preference it to shine it up some, but still show the natural tiny overall surface pitting in good old bakalite. After all, if one shines the bakelite too smoothly it just starts to look like "Tenite Plastic" or "Soft plastic" or even ABS plastic. It doesn't look old anymore.

I personally prefer some "character" to old phones and when they start to look too new, I admit that I get suspicious.

But this Riobi buffer is really great. I guess you notice how well it fits with the phones. Kinki perhaps yet effective.

It gives me confidence to attack ten AE 40s.

Carry on.

-Matt

Phonesrfun

A couple years back someone had posted on one of the other forums a way to shine up a badly pitted bakelite F1 handset that I tried out and it worked pretty well, but I did not have my polishing wheel at the time so my results were not stellar, but acceptable.  I have since sold that phone so I don't have the handset any longer.

This method takes more than a week to do, but if someone wants to try it and post the results, I am interested to see what others might come up with.

Start by running the handset through the dishwasher to get all the dirt out. THe handset will likely emerge even duller than before.

Then use tung oil varnish that you can get at any paint department of any store.  Wipe a thin coat of the tung oil varnish on, and wait three days for it to dry.  The long part is to wait three days to dry for each coat of varnish that is used.  Between each of the three or four coats of varnish, buff out bubbles and irregularities with 0000 steel wool.

This  is a painfully slow process, but when finished you will have a shiny glossy deep shine.  After the final buffing with the steel wool, I would use a polishing wheel like the RYobi to hopefully really make it shine.

Any takers?

-Bill G

Tonyrotary

Thanks Hobie. Yeah I kinda agree about letting the phone have some of its character. After I am done the handset will have a couple of minor dings and scratches that are too deep to buff out. But I still want a pretty good shine.

Phonesrfun, that idea seems cool. Maybe I might try that on another phone.

HobieSport

Bill (Phonesrfun) I don't mind the longer term processes, but I personally just have a short term memory, so it's better if I just use Novus and the Riobi buffer. But the tung oil process sounds interesting.

-Matt