News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Locating Parts

Started by a1parrothead, July 22, 2012, 09:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1parrothead

I have a Western Electric 3 coin slot payphone, model 193G. I need a lock set with keys (both upper and lower locks). Does anyone know of reproduction lock sets or where I would begin to find these locks? What lock numbers will fit the upper and lower?
Thanks, Jeff

TelePlay

There is Old Phone Works and PhoneCoInc at these links. eBay, as well as this forum and want ads at TCI may also provide the answers and parts.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

http://tinyurl.com/bvlg7gr   (PhoneCoInc)

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/

Two places to start until other add to this thread.

RotarDad

Jeff,

I believe most of the 50s and early 60s WE payphones used a 10G lock in the upper housing.  At some point in the 60s, they switched to the 10H lock which is very similar.  In fact a 10G key will usually work in a 10H lock.  The upper locks used the same keys so any key will work in the lock.  There are reproduction 10G keys available.  Very similar locks were made by Northern Electric in Canada.  I believe the number is 22B.   They are keyed different than the WE locks but a NE lock will fit in a WE phone as the phones are essentially the same.  Oldphoneworks may only have NE parts available.  The 10G and 10H lock do show up on Ebay from time to time, but not usually cheap.  They seem to go for $40 or more.

The lower vault locks are all keyed differently since money was involved.  There were a series of lock numbers (29 and 30 for more recent phones) and you will most commonly find the 30C for sale on Ebay since they were used on later single slot phones also.  Be sure you get a matching key since they are different.  I believe a 30C will work on most WE vault doors, although there is a thread in the Payphone section of this forum about someone having trouble fitting one.   These show up on Ebay more often than the upper locks but again $40 is not uncommon.

As you may know, WE did a good job with part numbers, so each lock will have the model number stamped on the lock.  The lower vault locks also have the key number stamped on the lock frame and the key itself.

Here are current samples for sale on Ebay now:

261071063673   30C lock
140798705732   10H lock

Hope this helps!
Paul

poplar1

I believe that the 29-type locks were for the upper housing of single slot though as you point out they will work on the vault door for 3-slot. The original locks for 3-slot doors were 14-type.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ldj1002

Quote from: a1parrothead on July 22, 2012, 09:55:24 PM
I have a Western Electric 3 coin slot payphone, model 193G. I need a lock set with keys (both upper and lower locks). Does anyone know of reproduction lock sets or where I would begin to find these locks? What lock numbers will fit the upper and lower?
Thanks, Jeff

If you aren't interested on it being original you can buy cam locks at hardware store or lock smith for under $10.00. Works good and looks good