News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Green Plastic Western Electric Telephone eBay 380274243516

Started by Doug Rose, September 30, 2010, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

If an Ivory 302 looks like white chocolate, this looks like it was made from jade. Absolutely stunning. All it needs is a chrome retainer ring and a little polishing. This is a beautiful find you don't see that often. The dial blank had shrunk a bit, but still breath taking....Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380274243516&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Yes, very nice ;D

It figures, I buy a truck and all these awesome phones start popping up :(
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Dennis Markham

That's incredible.  I never dreamed it would go that high. 

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 07, 2010, 09:31:33 AM
That's incredible.  I never dreamed it would go that high. 

Dennis:

Someone is going to Disneyland ....
Jorge

Doug Rose

Kidphone

baldopeacock

deedubya3800

Y'all keep sounding surprised at what some phones are fetching lately. I guess it's a good time to try to sell a rare telephone. What does this say about the economy?

bingster

I'm really surprised at that result.  I know the coordinating dial blanks are uncommon, but are they worth $700 or $800?
= DARRIN =

deedubya3800

Apparently someone thought so. :) I don't really know, but I have noticed in all the phones that I have watched on eBay recently that manual dial phones do fetch good money compared to automatics, and that's just in black! But I too would never have guessed green would be that huge.

Looking at the bid history, though, it seems that only the top two bidders agreed that it was worth a grand (or more - who knows about the winner); no one else was willing to go over four hundred. I see one bidder there who was a serious contender for one of my recent wins as well.

Dennis Markham

I've heard that some dial blanks are worth more than the phones themselves.  Certain colors.  But how much more?  Would a matching dial blank increase the value by $100, $200?  but $700?  Just like matching straight cords will increase the value of a soft plastic 500.  But even straight cords, matching or in gray have not been selling for the amounts they used to just a couple of years ago.  Perhaps this one has some gold in it somewhere.

baldopeacock

It's unpredictable.   All it really takes is two bidders who really want something and have deep enough pockets to pay whatever it takes to get it.   

Doug Rose

It seems the thermoplastic dial blanks in color 302s shrink at an alarming rate. As you can tell from looking at this, it is lifting on the edges with a space and this is a good one!! Awhile back I found a blue dial blank (alas no phone with it),  it was so bent it would not fit in the hole in the shell and it lifted a good 1/4 inch on the top and the bottom. Color was pristine, although the blank was useless.....Doug
Kidphone

deedubya3800

Quote from: baldopeacock on October 07, 2010, 12:41:43 PM
It's unpredictable.   All it really takes is two bidders who really want something and have deep enough pockets to pay whatever it takes to get it.   

That, my friends, is what constitutes an auction! :)

I was just discussing this with my cousin yesterday. We were talking about listings where the titles are misspelled, or descriptions are inaccurate or inadequate, and how it makes them harder to find. But all it takes is one other person who really wants it to find it, and you can give up on getting it cheap.