News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric Wall Phone - Model 166

Started by wds, March 02, 2013, 03:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked up the neatest little wall phone this week.  Compact, and attractive I think.  Plugged it in and it works, rings nice and loud.  There's a label on the inside, but it's faded too badly to read.  Appears to be all original - I plan to clean it up and drop a nice mercedes or North dial in it.  Looks like a mercedes should fit fine, but the tag on the inside refers to the North Dial.  Anyone know a model number for this phone?
Dave

stub

wds ,
           Am. E. Bulletin No. 65-C , pg. six  call it a No. 166 Convertible Wall Telephone .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

Thank you.  Is that Bulletin available at TCI?  I can't find much on American Electric there. 
Dave

stub

Dave,
          I got this bulletin off e-bay some time ago, no dates in it.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

Does your bulletin have the wiring diagram for the dial?  If so, can you post it?
Dave

wds

Here it is cleaned up.  Can't decide if it looks better with or without the dial.
Dave

dsk

It looks better with the dial!

Really nice!  :D

dsk

paul-f

It looks a bit more unusual with the apparatus blank, but more "expensive" with the dial.   ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

wds

I copied the wiring diagram off of another one of these that's for sale.  yes, I like the dial look also.  makes it look more balanced I think.
Dave

stub

wds ,
        No diagrams in bulletin. Looks great!!!!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

mienaichizu

Dennis Markham

Very nice Dave.  I like the look with the dial as well.

dsk

The diagram looks right compared with your pictures except from 1 thing.

You have a taped wire with a yellow label.

What is the text on that label? (I guess it is dial related)

The second is, it seems like it is made more than one version of that Mercedes dial, could you pleas take a picture of the back side, showing the the contacts?

dsk

wds

Picture of the yellow tag, and a couple of my mercedes dials.  At first I thought the dial mount would only accommodate the type 11 or 18, but I think it will also mount the type 23.  The first picture is a type 11 & 18, the other is type 23. 
Dave

dsk

Hmm.

I guess we have to figure out where the black wires other end is.

It looks like your dial only has contacts for shorting the circuit, not disconnecting the receiver.

I starting the dangerous game of guessing, it ends at terminal 4 (the middle terminal where the receiver cord is connected).

If so, the one with wires should do well, and probably the right one of the two others.

The straps between 6&7 and 8&9 has to be moved.   Colors on drawings are just to make it easy to follow, and are not related to real colors!

dsk