News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302?

Started by Pourme, November 06, 2016, 08:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I was walking the local flea market looking for containers for a unrelated phone project when I came across this. It had no cords, had been painted and decals added. The Bakelite don't show any cracks or chips. No "Western Electric" markings on anything except the handset. What caught my attention was two things, the odd numbered dial plate, I have never seen one like it and the words on the back"RING-SUPPRESSOR" The dates are pretty much from 7/50 throughout, even the end of the cut line cord. 

I did a quick search on the forum and found nothing I could use. He wanted $20 for it. I offered $10, he refused. I walked away....when I returned and offered $15 he shrugged no. I gave him the $20.00 So much for my negotiation skills!

I figured at least I could use it as a subset. Is there anything significant about this piece?

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

Well, at least you didn't have to pay shipping.
This set had its original dial changed with a Automatic Electric dial.

SUPPRESSOR most likely refers to the No. 61 filter that is installed close by the dial. It is the ca. 1"x1" metal container mounting on a bracket. It is intended for suppression of radio interference during dialing, which was a common affliction of electrical appliances when AM radio was still popular.

I am not sure why it is marked RING, but I think the ringer was changed at one time.  Typically the date mark on the ringer is identically the same as on the base, in this case 7-50 I, but the date on the ringer is 8-50 (?).  Another reason may be that the set was wired for party line service as the station that received ringing current on the RING conductor of the telephone line.  The ring conductor is typically the negative side, and the mark is followed by a minus sign.

These markings are not typical of Bell System practices, so perhaps the set was installed in an independent territory.  Is the handset marked F1W, rather than just F1 ?
In that case it should also not have the BELL SYSTEM mark.  Independent telcos often preferred to not use Western Electric dials, but AECo's.

For Bell System installations it would also be unusual to use a brown cloth cord still in the 1950s. They started replacing them with straight synth. rubber cords ca. 1948/49.

Perhaps the set was purchased from WECo or GrayBar without the ringer too, and therefore they installed it separately.

What is the mounting code stamped next to the rear cord exit ?   A standard 302 would have it as H-1, or H1,  but perhaps this was a AA1 (250AW telephone set). However, your picture seems to show H-1, vaguely.

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on November 06, 2016, 09:22:02 AM
Well, at least you didn't have to pay shipping.
This set had its original dial changed with a Automatic Electric dial.

SUPPRESSOR most likely refers to the No. 61 filter that is installed close by the dial. It is the ca. 1"x1" metal container mounting on a bracket. It is intended for suppression of radio interference during dialing, which was a common affliction of electrical appliances when AM radio was still popular.

I am not sure why it is marked RING, but I think the ringer was changed at one time.  Typically the date mark on the ringer is identically the same as on the base, in this case 7-50 I, but the date on the ringer is 8-50 (?).  Another reason may be that the set was wired for party line service as the station that received ringing current on the RING conductor of the telephone line.  The ring conductor is typically the negative side, and the mark is followed by a minus sign.

These markings are not typical of Bell System practices, so perhaps the set was installed in an independent territory.  Is the handset marked F1W, rather than just F1 ?
In that case it should also not have the BELL SYSTEM mark.  Independent telcos often preferred to not use Western Electric dials, but AECo's.

For Bell System installations it would also be unusual to use a brown cloth cord still in the 1950s. They started replacing them with straight synth. rubber cords ca. 1948/49.

Perhaps the set was purchased from WECo or GrayBar without the ringer too, and therefore they installed it separately.

What is the mounting code stamped next to the rear cord exit ?   A standard 302 would have it as H-1, or H1,  but perhaps this was a AA1 (250AW telephone set). However, your picture seems to show H-1, vaguely.

Yes, the handset is marked F 1 w
the housing is H1 as well.

I have never seen a dial face like that, is it fairly common? This area was serviced by Centel for many decades.
Benny

poplar1

Benny, what is the date on the cord restraint? (It should say H3C 4-0 and the date.)

Quote from: unbeldi on November 06, 2016, 09:22:02 AM

I haven't seen any 302s -- whether Bell System 302Gs or independent 302GWs -- with factory-equipped neoprene cords (H3AG AND D3AY) earlier than 1952.

This set was refurbished by Black Panther Trading Co. (AKA Hallmark House) in Springfield, MA.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on November 06, 2016, 11:07:17 AM
Benny, what is the date on the cord restraint? (It should say H3C 4-0 and the date.)

I haven't seen any 302s -- whether Bell System 302Gs or independent 302GWs -- with factory-equipped neoprene cords (H3AG AND D3AY) earlier than 1952.

This set was refurbished by Black Panther Trading Co. (AKA Hallmark House) in Springfield, MA.

I spoke about REPLACING.  This is not a factory original set, clearly.

H3AD cords were routinely used starting at least by 1949.

"They started replacing them with straight synth. rubber cords ca. 1948/49."

poplar1

Black Panther Trading Co./Hallmark House never replaced fabric-covered cords so long as they were functional and cosmetically acceptable. They even used a razor blade to remove paint chips on these cords. If the cords needed replacement, they used factory rejects (one inch too long, for example) from Whitney-Blake or other manufacturers. I recall the pink cords that Merrill spray painted black. As far as I know, they never installed Western Electric cords as replacements. Note also the washers rather than dial apapter.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

Quote from: poplar1 on November 06, 2016, 11:07:17 AM

Yes it does. The date is I 50.

Benny
Benny