News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SA 10: Model 260 Dial Speed Adjustor Tool Special Auction Contest - Ended 03-29

Started by TelePlay, March 22, 2015, 08:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Here is another auction contest just for the fun of it. It's a tool everyone wants but is a bit hard to find. As such, supply and demand will play a part what this will sell for when the auction ends. It was listed in a 7 day auction with no reserve about one hour ago. As with the other special auctions, there is no gap minimum, no rules and no winner. Just take a guess and I'll run the list of guesses to document this eBay auction item for posterity.

Absolutely any and all members are very welcome and strongly encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.[/b][/color] )[/i].

This tool was listed on eBay for $9.99 so who knows best what this will sell for when the auction ends.

The seller listed it as a "Rare Model 260 Dial Speed Adjustor Tool" with the item condition as "Used" and "No visable defects" with the auction listing description simply as "What field technician would be without one of these..... I am thinning out a lifetime of telephone collectibles and so this little gem goes by-by!  This scarce piece came after endless caging of a Repair Foreman friend.  We won't disclose how long ago that was!  This handy little wonder will made adjusting Western Electric 2-4-5 type govenors a simple pleasure. One only."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321703481041

Since this is a "special rules" no winner contest, the best guesser will not be included in the Hall of Fame or be counted in the Contest Standings as a win. This one is just for fun. However, the winner will take a place in the Special Auction Contest Standings.

All I ask is that guesses be at least $2 dollars apart, one guess per player (can't revise a guess) and no guesses will be accepted with less than 12 hours to go in the auction, special rules for a special contest . . .  ;)

S C O R E B O A R D

$   25.35 - andre_janew  ( 6 )
$   27.35 - Russ Kirk  ( 4 )
$   38.00 - Autonut  ( 2 )
$   50.00 - Kenton K  ( 8 )
$   69.00 - HarrySmith  ( 7 )
$   80.00 - Fabius  ( 1 )
$   95.00 - wds  ( 3 )
$ 118.00 - tallguy58  ( 9 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $ $127.50
$ 145.00 - WEBellSystemChristian  ( 5 )
$  150.00 - TelePlay  ( 10 )

------------------------

$   93.00 - Fabius  ( 1a )
$ 125.00 - Russ Kirk  ( 4a )

Auction Status

03-22-15      Listed      $        9.99
03-23-15      1 bids      $        9.99
03-24-15      2 bids      $      11.00
03-25-15      3 bids      $      13.49
03-26-15      7 bids      $      61.00
03-27-15    10 bids      $      75.00
03-28-15    10 bids      $      75.00
03-29-15    10 bids      $      75.00
03-29-15     7 bidders, 16 bids $127.50  Ended at 16:51 PDT

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenton K

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

HarrySmith

Kenton, I think we all need one! Or at least want one! Someone should look into reproducing these, they are pretty simple but seem to be made from unobtanium!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 24, 2015, 08:45:54 PM
Someone should look into reproducing these, they are pretty simple. . .

Harry,

I was thinking about that today. Really is a simple tool. Seems to be brass so if someone had an original tool, they should be able to create a template to cut a blank our of a piece of brass and figure out how to bend the tabs to make a close approximation of the real thing. Brass is a lot easier to cut, shape and bend than the very hard unobtanium.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenton K

I was planning on trying to make one out of sheet metal, cut and bent. Should be pretty simple. I'd imagine its just four prongs that hold the governor. I'll try to make one in the shop.

Ken

HarrySmith

Awesome Kenton! If you have access to a complete metal shop it would be easy! Make sure the sheet metal is thick enough that it won't bend while being used. I did a quick search the other day for a BSP on it but didn't find one. There should be measurements and specs for it somewhere!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"