News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

custom paint job

Started by bushman, April 13, 2010, 07:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I asked a buddy of mine (who is an automotive painter) to shoot a housing and handset with some automotive paint so I could test the durability of it. I guess I should have specified what color and nothing fancy! Oh well, this is what I got.

Bushman

savageje

LOL, pretty wild paint job.  Makes me think of something that should be at a bowling alley for some reason.    Your friend did a nice job.  You ought to give him the challenge to make a matching dial bezel.  That way you could make a complete set out of what otherwise might have been junker parts.

Dan/Panther

What paint did he use, Emeron ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Members note:
That is a HW converted to mod handset. Many of them are factory painted. This is the first custom painted one I have seen tho.

Personally I like it.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

At least there are no flames on the sides.

baldopeacock

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 13, 2010, 07:59:40 PM
What paint did he use, Emeron ?
D/P

Most shops shoot urethane enamel these days - Imron was one of the first urethane automotive paints, there are a bunch of them now.   I would guess it's a two-stage, basecoat/clearcoat treatment with that woodgrain effect.    Few years ago I tried to buy a quart of plain ol' acrylic lacquer to shoot a couple of panels on my son's first car - paint store didn't even have it anymore.   Out of date-er by the day, am I.

Polane was (is?) Sherwin-Williams' version of urethane enamel, as used by the phone refurb shops, if I understand correctly.

bushman

You are absolutely right! It was a basecoat clearcoat paint for the purple. The woodgrain was airbrushed browns and tans and used a scotchbright pad to get grain. Then the knots wear airbrushed in and cleared.

As far as Polane goes, is it a urethane? I have been wondering about it.

Bushman

baldopeacock

Quote from: bushman on April 13, 2010, 10:30:03 PM
You are absolutely right! It was a basecoat clearcoat paint for the purple. The woodgrain was airbrushed browns and tans and used a scotchbright pad to get grain. Then the knots wear airbrushed in and cleared.

As far as Polane goes, is it a urethane? I have been wondering about it.

Bushman

Sherwin-Williams still has Polane in their product line, here's their website.

http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/us/eng/products/categories/polyurethane/

So the durability of your buddy's paint job on that phone shell should be about the equivalent of a coat of WE refurb Polane.   Pretty much the same material.

The trick paint (or any other urethane enamel) on your phone housing can be wet-sanded with ultra-fine-grit paper and polished up to a very high gloss, just takes a day or two of cure time before you shine it up.

McHeath

Pretty cool looking I must say.  And if he could somehow trick out the dial bezel to match you'd be in business.

AET

Wow, I would love to have a custom housing like that!  Looks very cool, and if you don't know, I'm a big fan of woodgrain!
- Tom

Jim Stettler

Quote from: McHeath on April 13, 2010, 11:17:55 PM
Pretty cool looking I must say.  And if he could somehow trick out the dial bezel to match you'd be in business.
All you need is a backpainted dial. That is how bell did it.
However it is mighty hard to find a spare backpainted dial blank.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.