"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is a 61N filter needed nowadays??

Started by Come in Nighthawk, July 01, 2010, 03:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come in Nighthawk

???

I saw a thread where a member got a really NICE B1 w/ subset.  Theirs had a silver box attached under the dial inside the mount -- a 61N? 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1835.msg24521#msg24521

In answer to the question of what it was "bingster" replied: "...is indeed a filter, but rather than prevent interference in the phone, it prevents interference to nearby AM radios by the opening and closing of the dial contacts." 

The USPO just delivered a box containing a D1 w/ E1 handset that I scored on eBay by some good fortune (or dumb luck).  I say luck 'cause when I popped off the base, there was a 61N w/ its bracket.  Makes the insides pretty cramped! 

Question is, in this modern day n' age, with no W.E. vacumn tube AM radio sitting on the table waiting to blair out an episode of Amos N' Andy or The Jack Benny Show ;D do I need it??  Its attached (momentarily) to a 4H dial dated "I 31" that I may want to pop off and use on another phone, so long as its functioing.  Haven't created a "cheater" subset to hook this phone through to try out yet...  the phone was advert'd "as is," so I'm not complaining 'er anything...

Thoughts?   ???  Please?   ;)

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Come in Nighthawk on July 01, 2010, 03:03:47 PM

Question is, in this modern day n' age, with no W.E. vacumn tube AM radio sitting on the table waiting to blair out an episode of Amos N' Andy or The Jack Benny Show ;D do I need it??  Its attached (momentarily) to a 4H dial dated "I 31" that I may want to pop off and use on another phone, so long as its functioing.  Haven't created a "cheater" subset to hook this phone through to try out yet...  the phone was advert'd "as is," so I'm not complaining 'er anything...

Thoughts?   ???  Please?   ;)

CIN;
Hey! :o Watch it there bud.... ;) ;) ;)
Here are my thoughts. I have several AM Tube radios setting around playing vintage Amos n Andy shows, along with The Jack Berny show, and I play them nightly.
As far as the filter, I wouldn't have a clue. It may not interfere with an ipod, just not enough quality there. :o :o :o :o

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

You don't need to leave that filter on the dial.  If you plan to set it next to an AM radio then you may want to keep it.  I have several of those filters that I have removed from dials and not replaced them.

Come in Nighthawk

:o

I WISH I had some old episodes of Amos n' Andy & The Jack Benny Show to play them nightly.   :'(

What was it Dennis Day said in one episode? 

"I think I want to be a Department Store Secret Agent, just like David Harding, Counterspy."  ;D

Phonesrfun

I doubt that your dial will cause any interferance with a modern radio, even if the radio were sitting right next to the phone.  But, if it does, just put the filter back in.  The filter is certainly not needed for any function of the phone.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

CIN;
PM me your address and I'll send you a couple hundred Amos N Andy Episodes.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson