News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

Should that not be bigger so it acts as a reflector and focuses more light downwards or is it just designed to disperse the smoke so it doesn't all hit the ceiling in one patch?
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Quote from: andy1702 on February 23, 2017, 01:26:05 PM
Should that not be bigger so it acts as a reflector and focuses more light downwards or is it just designed to disperse the smoke so it doesn't all hit the ceiling in one patch?

As 19and41 says, it's meant to deflect smoke from accumulating on the ceiling, but in the case of an aladdin lamp, the amount of heat it puts out, it needs diffusing to prevent burning the ceiling or weakening the chain, there's rarely any smoke from an aladdin unless it's accidentally left to flare up, which does cause a sooty mess, especially inside the chimney... :)

I still need to go to Ikea to get that shade I want for it though, just haven't been awake during the day so far to go get it...  :-\

19and41

Those chimneys have a hot draft. In my younger more foolish days, I could put a cigarette in just the stream leaving the chimney and light it and that was with a ribbon wick lamp.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Yeah, the Aladdins you can incinerate a match in no time holding it over the top of the chimney... ;D

andre_janew

I know just what 19and41 is talking about as I have seen my dad light a cigarette in that manner many times!

19and41

The heat generated was also put to use with this thermocouple based device that generated enough current to power a farm radio.  From the Soviet Union in the early '50s.

http://oldradio.onego.ru/ARTICLES/RADIO/tgk_real_l.htm
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I remember that lamp powered radio from the thread on my 23 lamp, it's basically the same principle as the Eco-fans that are sat atop wood stoves to distribute heat around a room, using a thermal-electric generator (or TEG), also known as a Peltier heat pump, but in the case of an Aladdin (which I think I mentioned in the other thread), such a thing would probably be incinerated from the amount of heat an Aladdin lamp puts out... :o

Really should try and make a TEG, I have an unused mini-fridge that uses a Peltier heat pump to cool itself, but, I have other ideas for that, just not enough "get up and go" to do it...  ;D

19and41

Thermocouples are used a lot in high heat measurement applications so there are assemblies that could withstand a lamp chimney.  I have got to get my lamp on the front burner.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Thermocouples and thermo-electric generators are two different beasts though, the latter not being tolerant to high temperatures before it is permanently damaged, and a thermocouple is usually quite small and doesn't produce a lot of power unless made ungodly massive like that one on the russian lamp & radio... :)

19and41

I thought I'd see if there were any available on the market these days.  It just surprises me sometimes.   It is just a little on the pricy side though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THERMOGENERATOR-TGK-3-Russian-Soviet-USSR-very-rare-/272553466633?hash=item3f7573db09:g:BGcAAOSwx2dYJz70
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Definitely very expensive, probably would be cheaper to make one from scratch...  ;D

andy1702

I'd buy one of those at a sensible price. I'm now wondering how much power the fan on top of my wood burner puts out.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

Only a few volts, not much in the way of amps either, TEGs aren't that powerful really, but people like making things with them in, such as a camping stove you can use to recharge a mobile phone, but you can't really strap one of them round a lamp...  ;D

twocvbloke

On my way to Ikea right now to pick up the lampshade I want for the Super Aladdin, it's not easy to type on a smartphone on a bus that's driving over roads that feel rather eastern bloc... ;D