News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Broken 302 corner advice?

Started by bingster, November 28, 2008, 12:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

My trio of 302s have been at my parents' house for years, and while I was there today, I found two of them and brought them home.  One is a parts phone from 1954, and the other's a thermoplastic from 1941.  I have a metal 302, but I hunted all over for it and couldn't find it.  Anyway, on to the '41...

The phone has always had a busted corner at the front.  I always figured it was the shrinking of the plastic, but I've closely examined it just now, and it apparently took a fall at some point.  The foot at that corner was  deformed and the base plate was racked.  Additionally, the front brass screw insert had split it's plastic surround, and the dial broke partially through it's flat mounting plastic.  I straightened the base and replaced the bent foot with one from the parts set, and I can easily glue the plastic under the dial and around the brass insert at the front.  But what to do about the break at the corner?

I can glue the crack and clamp it closed, but what should I do about the chunk that's missing?  Or should I even worry about it, leaving it as a mark of the phone's history?

Also, does anybody know what the second group of stamped numbers on the housing means?  The first group, I'm sure is the date the housing was made (8-14-41),  but what's the meaning of "26868?"
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, I think your 302 case would be a candidate for the acrylic treatment similar to the replacement of the cradle ears on the 302 that I posted a while back.  Mark Scola has repaired a few of these corner breaks.  The material will fill the gap and then it can be filed into shape and ultimately sanded.  I'll attach a photo of my Rose Pink 302 that was damaged when I got it.  Mark filled the gap.  However with the colored sets it is difficult to match the color.  He can match it while the compound is wet but it often dries to a different color---depending on the color.  In this case the color dried more of a purple but it still looks better than the gap on the corner.  With black that is not as much of an issue.  The black seems to dry pretty close to the original color.  But keeping in mind it may not be a exact match but will improve the way it looks on the shelf. 

Eventually I hope to learn the process of the repair---mixing the acrylic powder with the ethyl methacrylate but for now if I need something like that done I will talk to Mark.

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
That's still a very impressive repair.
Where can you get the compound he uses ?
With shrinkage at that rate on these phones, is it ever an issue removing the caps from the receiver ?

Where did you find that phone, it's absolutely gorgeous.
What did it cost you ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
My guess on the number could it be a serial number ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Quote from: Dan/PantherWith shrinkage at that rate on these phones, is it ever an issue removing the caps from the receiver ?

You probably already know this, but stuck handset caps can be coaxed by warming with a hairdryer and/or placing in the freezer for a bit.  If that doesn't work, use a strap-wrench.

Dennis Markham

Dan,

My buddy, that I've referenced many times does the plastic repair.  I don't k now where he gets his product other than I know the liquid hardener is used by hair stylists for making finger nails, etc.  He informed me that at least here in Michigan a hair stylist's license is required to purchase it.  He has a friend that can take care of that for him.  I know the stuff is extremely strong--odor wise.  It is very caustic and most certainly harmful if breathed for long period of time.

The Old Rose 302 came as a result of a trade.  I didn't pay cash for it but did give up a couple of nice 500's---maybe three, I don't remember exactly.  It came with those reproduction cords that were made by another maker of cords, not Odis.  A man that I am told once made excellent cords but hasn't for several years.  The phone isn't perfect as you can see from the photos.  There is a crack on the right front corner and some other marks from time.  But it is probably the only one I'll ever get my hands on.  Very nice ones go for a lot of $$$$$.  This thing dials great and rings equally as well.  I have thrown some polish on it but otherwise it is as it was when I got it---other than the rear repair.  It's difficult to photograph it and get the real color.  It is more pink than red but in some of the photos it has a burnt red color to it.  Thanks for the comment.  Here's the front view.

Bingster, as far as that number on the case I can't remember what I was once told when I asked about that number.  That 302 we put the cradle ears on had one like it.  I'll have to see if I can find out a definite answer to that question.

Dennis

Sargeguy

That is one sweet looking phone!!! 

The stuff is known as MMA, I think.  It is is poisonous but not especially toxic.  It was used widely by the nail industry to attach fake nails until better products came along.  The problem was that it was too strong and would ruin the nail underneath when removed.  It is not used much by many nail salons anymore, except the cheaper ones (or so I am told by my friend the pedicurist).  It is still used to fix horse and cow hooves and is also used for making dentures and prosthetic surgery. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

That's very interesting.  Well it makes a very hard piece of "plastic".  If you all are interested in some more "before & after" photos of phones repaired with that stuff,  I can post some of Mark's work on colored soft plastic phones.  The problem now is matching colors, as mentioned.  It may match when wet but not after it dries.  Some colors are better than others.  But anything really looks nicer than a hole.

Dennis

Sargeguy

How does he match the color?  Does he add pigment to the acrylic before he adds the glue?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

I believe that's how he does it, yes.

Dan

I personally do denture repairs for my patients with this material.The material is called poly-methyl-methacrylate. It is not poisenous because you can use it in the mouth for dentures and temporary crowns. I could repair anything with it, but the color match would be hardest with this material. I could only do pink repairs or white or ivory ones (dental colors). I would love to know what dies to use. I would think simple acrylic paints could be mixed in because the "plastic" is acrylic too.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan,

I will find out more about it and report back. 

Dennis

HobieSport

If acrylic paints work as tints for the poly-methyl-methacrylate, try Liquitex brand acrylic in tubes from an art store.  They are very precise in the their colors and values (light to dark).  We used them exclusively for art work because they are so controllable.  Liquitex makes a mixing chart where just about any hue, value and color saturation can be achieved with a little experimentation.  They are also extremely durable and don't fade. :)

McHeath

That's a fab phone Dennis!  The 302s in color, with the clear fingerwheel and plungers, are pretty classy phones.  This plastic repair technique certainly seemed kinda "dental" to me, from what little I know as a patient only, but then Dan came in and confirmed it.  Our dentist gave us some demos this summer of how his various glues and such worked and it was really interesting.  I could see how some of their techniques could be used for a host of repairs. 

Greg G.

I used Magic-Sculpt resin and hardener that I got at Tap Plastics to repair a hole in a receiver.  Easy to work with, but a color repair on a corner may be trickier.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7935.msg87115#msg87115
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e