News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weco355aman

I was able to have a close look at it this weekend. This was a very clean and well preserved unit. It was great to see it in person.  If any one is by Stockton , Ca its about 1 hour drive to the museum. Lots of new items added in the last year.
Phil

AE_Collector

Ahh, you went on a road trip did you Weco355aman! How many hours each way?

I hope to get there fairly soon myself.

Terry

Weco355aman

My wife and i was on our 10Th anniversary. We went to from long beach Ca to
Catalina island and Ensenada Mexico. On the return trip i stopped by the JKL museum to check out the new additions.  I also did some repair on the SXS.
I sold and installed the Weco SXS and SC X-Y that's in the lower floor of the museum. I've also worked on the Mobil SXS as well. Its 625 miles from Salem ,or to the Museum.
Phil

AE_Collector

So you drove all the way...well, not to Catalina Island but to Los Angeles...and to Ensenada? We were in Ensenada last October getting onto a Celebrity Cruise ship heading for Hawaii. It was a long day. Flew from vancouver to San Diego. Killed hours before being bussed to Ensenada where we got on the ship about 10:30 PM. The n ext 2 weeks were Fantastic though!

I didn't know that you supplied the SxS at John's Place. I can't wait to see his Museum. Of course you are even closer to me (Vancouver BC Canada so maybe I need to stop by your place as well.

Terry

Weco355aman

Just to clarify we did drive to Longbeach Ca, took on cruise to the island and Mexico, then return to Lonbeach Ca. Then drove north stopping at JKL.
Phil

HowardPgh

Is the sepia tone picture an actual picture of MagMos phone?
Howard

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

MagicMo

Quote from: Weco355aman on March 31, 2013, 11:25:46 PM
I was able to have a close look at it this weekend. This was a very clean and well preserved unit. It was great to see it in person.  If any one is by Stockton , Ca its about 1 hour drive to the museum. Lots of new items added in the last year.

That is so cool! Did they get it up and running? Are they working on it? Did you see the paperwork? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I miss it. :-\
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Weco355aman

As of this 3-31-13  all of the electrical items is sitting on a work table. Like all
projects it is a work in progress. They had the other picturephones and parts on another table. The unit you sold to them was the best out of all of the
picturephones they had. The best part of what you had was the proper boxes
for storage this helped to perserve it. You also had the BSP for the units.
The plan is to make it operational.
Phil

MagicMo

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling they will getting working around June of this year. My educated guess.
Fingers crossed. If they do get it working I will certainly go see it!!
Mo

MagicMo

This is a tube I found in the basement. Could it be????
Anyone know??
thanks
Mo

HarrySmith

If you contact Wayne he can probably get a number from all that paperwork that went with the phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

zaphod01

radiomuseum.org shows applications "Usage in Models   1= 1964 ; 1= 1966".

Sounds date correct.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

JohnInWI

Quote from: MagicMo on April 28, 2013, 12:37:55 AM
This is a tube I found in the basement. Could it be????
Anyone know??
thanks
Mo

Maureen,

This is a 9" (diagonally) picture tube used in Sony portable TVs made during the mid 1960's as someone previously mentioned.  The one used in the PicturePhone is smaller.

-John

G-Man

The original CRT used in Picturephone Model 1 was a Sylvania ST-3183B.

It does not appear that the Sony 230HB4 could be used as a replacement since it has a filament voltage of 12-volts while the ST-3283B uses 6-volts.

The 230HB4 is listed as 9-inches while a ST-3283B is 4 3/8 x 5 3/4 inches.

Both appear to use different mountings and while the ST-3283B is intended for broadcasting/industrial applications, the 230HB4 was used in consumer products:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_tv9_304uetv_9304_u.html?language_id=2