News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric Model 46?

Started by coreybl1, July 03, 2016, 03:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coreybl1

I'm new classic phones and need some help identifying a phone I recently acquired. From what I've been able to find online, I think it's an American Electric model 46 but the base doesn't match the picture I found here http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs%20phones/Pages/Grabaphone/Grabaphone.htm Could it be a hybrid of sorts? I would also like to replace some parts on the phone but I'm having difficulty finding information that would point me in the right direction.

It appears someone has replaced the original receiver element with one that is too large for the housing (U1 element I think) so I'm unable to screw on the cap. Would anyone know what receiver element would be small enough to fit?

There is only one foot for the ringer and two screws are missing from the receiver housing. Is there anyone that would sell replacements? For the screws, I would like matching replacements but for the feet, I'm okay if they are not the exact same style as long as they fit the over aesthetic.

dsk

First of all: Welcome to the forum!
This phone does not like any of those  I have seen before so I may not be much of a help, but you are probably right about the handset. It may be from a model 46. The receiver element might be an Ericsson, and those are often weak after may years out of use. Any headset speaker with DC resistance between 45 and 120 ohms will probably be better. 

dsk

rdelius

A capsule  out of a trimline might fit  .A LB1 will fit.Audiotronics LC? is what I used to use.About 3/8 to 1/2 thick

stub

coreybl1,
               Does this look like your phone ? American Electric Bulletin #65-C pg. 4. I don't see a signal button on the one in catalog.
                                         #83 Magneto Ringing Table Set
Kenneth Stubblefield