News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

the "Imfamous" 82A dial Blank

Started by Babybearjs, February 07, 2015, 08:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

enclosed are some pics I took of what I do to a dial blank to make it more user "friendly".....
John

Greg G.

So how is that used?  I have a metal 302 that has the same apparatus on the back of the dial blank.  The dial card says it's a direct line to Western Union.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

G-Man

Quote from: Brinybay on February 07, 2015, 09:54:39 PM
So how is that used?  I have a metal 302 that has the same apparatus on the back of the dial blank.  The dial card says it's a direct line to Western Union.

Dial Blanks were used to fill the opening when a dial was not originally installed or was removed. Applications for non-dial telephones included telephones used with-

Manual telephone exchanges or pbx switchboards
    Courtesy telephones located in hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.
    Extensions where it was not desired users could place their own long-distance calls

Or in the case of your telephone, when they were used on dedicated ring-down lines such as a telephone placed in a hotel lobby for a direct connection to Western Union.

Babybearjs

by tapping out the other 3 holes, it makes the terminals easier to use... and.... if you need to put more wires under the screws... theres room.
John

Greg G.

Quote from: G-Man on February 08, 2015, 02:04:15 AM

Dial Blanks were used to fill the opening when a dial was not originally installed or was removed. Applications for non-dial telephones included telephones used with-

Extensions where it was not desired users could place their own long-distance calls

Or in the case of your telephone, when they were used on dedicated ring-down lines such as a telephone placed in a hotel lobby for a direct connection to Western Union.

I meant the part on the back of the dial blank, I know what the blanks are for, but not all dial blanks have those.  So in my case, by picking up the handset, it would connect with a phone at Western Union w/o the need of an operator?  Can that be adapted for home use? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 07, 2015, 08:26:58 PM
enclosed are some pics I took of what I do to a dial blank to make it more user "friendly".....

I may be missing something from an earlier post, I'm curious as to why some consider 82A dial blanks "Imfamous" (infamous?). They had a legitimate purpose and were intended to be used with non-dial telephones. I'm also unable to see why removing a few of screws from the terminal board would make them "more user friendly"

The marked screw terminals corresponded to the terminals on the dials they replaced and came in very handy when, early in my career, I referred to them in the applicable Bell System Practices, to place the wires that were previously terminated on the dial as I converted many instruments to non-dial service for use at pbx's, hotel lobbies, etc.

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 08, 2015, 02:38:52 AM
by tapping out the other 3 holes, it makes the terminals easier to use... and.... if you need to put more wires under the screws... theres room.

Whoops- I missed your post explaining your reasons for removing the screws.

G-Man

Quote from: Brinybay on February 08, 2015, 02:40:30 AM

I meant the part on the back of the dial blank, I know what the blanks are for, but not all dial blanks have those.  So in my case, by picking up the handset, it would connect with a phone at Western Union w/o the need of an operator?  Can that be adapted for home use? 

The circuit they were connected to used ring-down equipment that was often located in the central office. Now days you could use a ring-down or automatic dialer from Viking Electronics or another manufacturer to accomplish the same action.

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 07, 2015, 08:26:58 PM

After another look at your photos, it appears that you are not intending to use them with a telephone set, but rather as a general purpose wire terminal with the dial blank secured to a piece of wood.

Is that correct? Also, why do feel the dial blanks are "imfamous?"

Thanks!

dsk

To use such telephone today, you have some ways to do it. Just using it for answering, programming the exchange if possible, or put in a hot line dialer on the line, and it will dial one number when you lift off and wait.  You may put in a dial from the right time. or you may use an external dial pad.

dsk

Greg G.

Quote from: G-Man on February 08, 2015, 02:52:09 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on February 08, 2015, 02:40:30 AM

The circuit they were connected to used ring-down equipment that was often located in the central office. Now days you could use a ring-down or automatic dialer from Viking Electronics or another manufacturer to accomplish the same action.

Probably easier and more fun to connect two old-fashioned hand-cranked phones.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 08, 2015, 02:38:52 AM
John,

What size tap are you using? Looks like about a #6 screw, on the one within reach of my desk.

Thanks, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Babybearjs

the original and new screws are both 4-40. having a tap set come in real handy for repairing phones. on to 300 and 400 series there are terminals that have untapped holes that were reserved for soldering but never used. tapping them out helps in making extra connections I am also finding myself having to retap #5 dials because I don't have any 4-36 screws handy, but plenty of 4-40's.... the 4-40 screw is the standard screw used on many terminal strips in the phones. the next size up is the 6-32, which is also used for terminal strips. so for all you guys out there who help keep these phones working... keep a tap set on hand.... 4-36, 4-40, 6-32, 6-40, and 8-32. also, the 6-32 and 8-32 are standard electrical screws for all wiring apparatus.... (switches, outlets, lighting fixtures) so having these taps on hand really helps when working on any electrical project.   
John