"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sculptura Handset

Started by compubit, January 24, 2015, 08:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Howdy!

I have a "white" Sculptura Touch Tone phone I'd like to clean up. It works electrically, but is a color halfway between ivory and beige...  I'm getting back into my collecting swing, now that I have a Panasonic KX-TA624 with all 3 cards for 24 lines to get everything hooked up.

I wasn't sure how to get the handset apart, but found the BSP (search is my friend in the forum), which mentions that the caps on the handset are screw-off, then the rest of the handset will separate (Thank you BSP for all of the instructions for when a customer doesn't want a Design Line phone anymore!).

The receiver cap comes off with no problem, but the transmitter cap is stuck and won't budge...

Any suggestions on how to get it off without destroying the caps? I don't want to have to go find a new Sculptura handset online (because it'll probably mean I end up with an extra base...)

Thanks!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

HarrySmith

The forum search should help you here again, there are many posts about stuck caps. Heating with a hair dryer is very popular. Using a strap wrench or two is another popular remedy!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

compubit

Thanks for the ideas. I did search, but didn't have the right search terms (and had Sculptura as part of the search...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

andre_janew

You may have been too specific in your search.  I don't think stuck caps are confined to one type of handset.  I think that any handset with caps has the same problem(s).

compubit

I didn't initially realize that the Sculptura handsets had screw-on caps.  Now that I know, gotta get the one off that sticks...

Jim

HarrySmith

Before you break anything, are you sure they screw off? OK, in rereading your original post you stated the BSP states they screw off so I guess it will work. I was speaking in general terms.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"