News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Brass 302

Started by SUnset2, July 18, 2017, 11:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

Over the weekend we went to the antique and collectables show at the Expo Center in Portland.  There were some nice phones there, but most weren't cheap enough for me.  I got a couple that are future projects, but this was easily the nicest I found.  If I recall correctly, I paid $35 for it.  I gave it a light cleaning and removed a phone number sticker from the acetate disk on the dial to reveal the original number.

SUnset2

A couple more pictures.

AL_as_needed

Thats a nice find at 35$, especially with the original number card. Nice phone!
TWinbrook7

unbeldi

A terrific find.   By the dates on the components that I can see, it looks like it was assembled in early 1953, no later probably than April or May.  Your 5J dial is dated 12-52 and that was the last month of manufacture of the No. 5 dials. Until May 53 existing stocks of 5J were used up and by May the new 6D dial was installed in new color sets.   But these sets with metallic-painted metal housings were not made at the factory anymore.  They had to be specially ordered by the telephone company and were painted and assembled at the shops of the regional distribution centers.  For this they used some refurbished parts, such as the base plate of yours, which was originally manufactured in 1947.   The metal housings came from old stock set aside, or from more recent returns.  WECo did not make new metal housings anymore after WW-II.   The handset uses a special version of Bakelite, redish-brown in color, and does not have seams along the handle.  This Bakelite was used for color-painted sets only.  It looks like the handset is marked 52, which is likely May (5) 1952 (2), Before WW-II the handsets would not have a hollow handle with wires.  This agrees with the transmitter date 4/52.  The receiver date of 10-55 is a little late, perhaps it was replaced later.

It would be interesting to hear about the date markings on the cords.  They are on the strain relief collars with the S-hook. It looks like the cords are brown cloth?

HarrySmith

Very nice foind at a great price! That looks almost unused.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Worthy of a Find of the Month nomination.

Dan/Panther

Nice find.
Excellent find of the month material.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

That is a very nice example. Most of the painted 302's I have come across have noticeable paint wear on the handset.

You should put this set  in the find of the month.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

SUnset2

I appreciate the explanation on how these were made.  The date on the cords is 1947, which may or may not help.  The cords are in very good condition, and have the green "Telephone Company Property" labels on them.  When I saw the brown handset, I knew it had to be a factory paint job.  There are a few chips in the paint, in the back corners and along the ridge of the handset.  I don't know if it can be touched up.  Otherwise, it is in unusually good condition.  I removed a thick layer of grime from it before I took the photos.

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 19, 2017, 11:43:12 AM
Nice find.
Excellent find of the month material.

D/P

Quote from: Jim S. on July 19, 2017, 06:20:11 PM
That is a very nice example. Most of the painted 302's I have come across have noticeable paint wear on the handset.

You should put this set  in the find of the month.
JMO,
Jim S.

Being a newer member who might not be familiar with the nomination process, I helped him out and nominated the phone for him. Here's the nomination link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18404.msg190846#msg190846

SUnset2

Teleplay,  Thanks for the nomination.

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone and a great find!  Congratulations and nice work on sprucing it up.

~Dennis