News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE D1 Problems

Started by pierced, January 30, 2019, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Looks like your missing the BK transmitter wire.
KEN

pierced

Haven't tried another handset with my D1 yet but was wondering if it's possible to test the 557B receiver element with a VOM?

pierced

Ken, I'm not sure what you mean. The black wire on one end of the subset cord as well as the black wire on the handset cord are both connected to the dial BK. The other end of the black wire on the subset cord (which I understand is for antisidetone) is connected to C on the network. Would you elaborate?
                                                                                                       Thanks,
                                                                                                         Dave

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Please attach photos to each reply showing what wiring is being discussed so members can see the parts and the wiring rather than assuming the wiring which may be different than what is being assumed. Images make it much easier to troubleshoot these types of problems.

Not one image, other than the one of the ringer clapper, have been posted in any of the replies in this topic.

pierced

Sorry, I lent out my tablet for 9 weeks and it is my only means of taking photographs.

Dave

RB

Quote from: pierced on February 04, 2019, 09:39:01 AM
Haven't tried another handset with my D1 yet but was wondering if it's possible to test the 557B receiver element with a VOM?
yes you can.
not sure what it shud be, but if you see resistance, it is at least alive.
magnet may be weak tho.
Can't test that with a meter.

AL_as_needed

One additional trick to consider that I use on all my rotary phones; I take an index card and cut it into strips. I place an end of a strip in-between closed contacts and use a filing motion. Usually after going back and forth a few times, you'll see the paper scrub away a layer of corrosion. I  like using paper for this as it does not mar the contact surfaces, and doesn't bend out them out of place.

This is likely not a solution to your other issue, but can help with stronger, cleaner pulses etc. 
TWinbrook7

pierced

Thank you AL.

Dave

HarrySmith

Bell Sytems had a special bonded paper just for cleaning contacts. I have some at home. Our friend Steve Hilsz was selling it, I am not sure if he has any left but you can contact him if interested jydsk@tds.net.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

pierced

Much thanks Harry.

Dave