News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Number 7 type Dial problem

Started by HowardPgh, February 07, 2019, 03:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

I have a couple dials on 500 type phones that take some effort to dial but seem to return OK at normal speed.  Is there a clutch mechanism that is stuck. How easy are these to disassemble and get back together correctly.   
Howard

RB

Hi Howard.
Yes, there is a clutch, so to speak.
it is not something you want to lube tho.
other parts do need lube tho.
Steve Hilsz repairs them for a VERY reasonable fee.
I send all my dials to him.
I have not been able to take one apart so I don't try.
Good luck.

LarryInMichigan

When I have a sluggish dial, unless something looks wrong, I remove the back cover and give the mechanism a quick spray with electrical contact cleaner and then sparingly oil the bearings.  That is usually enough to clean out the dirt and allow the dial to turn freely.  It it still doesn't work well, I might start disassembling things.

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 08, 2019, 10:15:05 AM
When I have a sluggish dial, unless something looks wrong, I remove the back cover and give the mechanism a quick spray with electrical contact cleaner and then sparingly oil the bearings.  That is usually enough to clean out the dirt and allow the dial to turn freely.  It it still doesn't work well, I might start disassembling things.

I agree that this is one good way to help or even the first thing to try with sluggish dial.

Just wanted to add that in many other posts on the forum, it was suggested that the contact cleaner NOT be the cleaning and lubricating type, just use the cleaning type. DeoxIT D5S-6 is what I have been using since Radio Shack went out of business.

DeoxIT D5 is used for radios, musical instruments, computers and other electrical contact cleaning and works well for loosing and removing surface crud from a phone's dial and dial bearing points. Dries off completely. And not having a lubricant, it won't affect the governor/clutch.

After spraying the cleaner on the dial back (with it being held with the gears downward, finger wheel up), I spray the dial with compressed air to blow out any loosened dirt, rotate the dial and hold it at some number, spray it again and one last spray with compressed air.

A bit of proper lubrication after that and most dials are back in service, good PPS. If not, as Larry said, disassembly and cleaning will be necessary.

Many places sell DeoxIT, this is just one for example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-D5S6-CAIG-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner-/382126649844

If anyone has used this and found problems with it or disagrees with anything I've said, please post a reply.