News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecting to a W.E. 634A Subscriber Set

Started by Dennis Markham, November 04, 2009, 12:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Bingster, I will give that a try.  I do have another 634A with the same ringer.  What I have done is isolate that ringing capacitor.  I disconnected both leads.  I still had a dial tone and was able to dial a call.  But of course because I had the capacitor disconnected there was no ringing.  When reconnected the tap continued.  As Bill Geurts suggested, I may have a bad or leaky capacitor.  What I'd like to learn next is how to buy a replacement capacitor and how to wire it into the ringer box so that it will work normally.

Any advice on this, gang?

Dennis Markham

I may be getting somewhere, thanks to that suggestion from Bingster.  I dug out a 634AT (The "T" indicates it has a tube) and set it along side the 634A in question.  I ran the ringer wires from the donor box over to the 634A and attached them.  When I dial the phone, no bell tap.  I can call out and it rings on the in-coming call.  So this is beginning to look like a ringer problem.

I think my next step will be to remove the "bad" ringer from the box and see if I can make some adjustments per the 1917 document Bingster uploaded.

And the saga continues..........

Dennis Markham

One additional note.  The ringer coils are rated differently.  The box with the bell tapping has coils labeled 700 and the others are labeled 500, if that makes any difference.

bingster

I don't know the ins and outs of the coil ratings, but my two 684s have the older type ringers with coils marked "700" and neither taps.  My guess is that distance from the central office determined what coil ratings were used in a particular installation.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

The ringer with the 700 coils are the ones doing the tapping in this case.  May have nothing to do with that, I was just wondering about it.