and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Telephone Photos

Started by paul-f, September 03, 2010, 11:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on September 03, 2010, 05:12:38 PM
DaveF

Here is how to restore the logo: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3076.0

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I'll take a look.
--------------------------------------------

Check this out -- A few days ago, I bought a W.E. G5 push-to-talk handset on an eBay Buy-It-Now.  In the picture, it looked white.  Well, it arrived today about 1/2 hour ago and guess what -- It's GRAY!!

Dennis Markham

Nice phones, Jonathan.  I do like the manual Princess.  You're right, I don't remember seeing another in any color.

bingster

Quote from: Dave F on September 03, 2010, 05:04:03 PM
Quote from: jsowers on September 03, 2010, 04:25:49 PM

Sixth is a time lapse of bleaching a hard plastic light gray 500 housing. One part bleach to two parts water, in the sun for a day. I think it took three days to get it to how you see it in the last picture. It could use a fourth day.

Do you mean just liquid bleach like Clorox? I wasn't aware that this wourld work without damaging the palstic.  It looks terrific.  I'll have to give that a try.

I've used chlorine bleach on hard and soft plastic, and it works like a dream when the discoloration is due to smoke and grime. UV damage is another thing altogether, though.
= DARRIN =

Dave F

More gray: W.E. 1066A4B Illuminated AUTOVON adjunct dial (1977).

Dave F

Quote from: bingster on September 03, 2010, 08:44:36 PM

Sixth is a time lapse of bleaching a hard plastic light gray 500 housing. One part bleach to two parts water, in the sun for a day. I think it took three days to get it to how you see it in the last picture. It could use a fourth day.

Do you mean just liquid bleach like Clorox? I wasn't aware that this wourld work without damaging the palstic.  It looks terrific.  I'll have to give that a try.

I've used chlorine bleach on hard and soft plastic, and it works like a dream when the discoloration is due to smoke and grime. UV damage is another thing altogether, though.

Have you tried Retrobright for UV discoloration?

Dave F

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 03, 2010, 07:20:19 PM
Nice phones, Jonathan.  I do like the manual Princess.  You're right, I don't remember seeing another in any color.

Gray manual Princess is awesome!

Kenny C

when did they start making 2500's?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

2500s started appearing in about 1967.

I'm sure everyone will recognize this group.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenny C

golly paul how many phones do you have?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dave F

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on September 03, 2010, 09:11:12 PM

Looks like a heck of a lot more than I do!

Great phones Paul!

paul-f

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on September 03, 2010, 09:11:12 PM

I have no clue.  Certainly more than fingers and toes.  I lost count years ago.

However, had I started collecting at your age, I'd have thousands.  One can only speculate how many you'll have when you're my age.

Here are some of my favorites from the 1500-series.  I got the Call Director from an ATCA member who removed it from the Succasunna, NJ No.1 ESS installation - the first of its kind in the US.
   http://www.paul-f.com/we1500typ.html#CallDirector

Dave F

Boy Paul, those are super.  I have a gray 660 rotary Card Dialer.  If I can figure out where it is hiding, I'll dig it out and add it to the list.  It sure would be nice to have a 1630 type Call Director (any color).  Maybe someday...  I just got a 634 Line Concentrator Call Director from eBay.  It's green, so it won't fit in this thread, but I'll eventually find a topic to post it in!

paul-f

A topic on "Green Telephone Photos" might be the place!

While we're discussing grey, here are some more modern sets from TeleQuest, the Manta and Solo cordless - also seen here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/TeleQuest.html

Dan

Quote from: Dave F on September 03, 2010, 08:49:28 PM
Quote from: bingster on September 03, 2010, 08:44:36 PM

Have you tried Retrobright for UV discoloration?

I have tried it for UV discoloration and it didn't work on my moss green. Gray may be a better candidate
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright