News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Telephone Photos

Started by paul-f, September 03, 2010, 11:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K1WI

My gray phones , a Stromberg Carlson in a medium gray  and a North Electric metal in a strange satin silver / gray finish with a lighter gray handset that was intended  for use in a government office but never used.

Andy    K1WI

paul-f

Quote from: Brinybay on June 24, 2011, 04:36:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the color code for Oxford Gray, and discovered there are several shades of gray.  I would have mistaken yours for black if not for the color code.

Per Paul F.'s list of WE colors there 6 different shades of gray.  5 have the same color code of 52:

Gray, Dark Gray, Oxford Gray, Charcoal Gray, Dove Gray.

2 have color code 61: Gray, Light  Gray

The 61 Light Gray is repeated in a later year, is that a typo?

New in 1963
-61 Light Gray

The various names shown for a color code in the table are different marketing names that were used by various operating companies for the same color.

I believe -61 only appears once on the 500-series page.  If you're on the Color page, it will appear for several different models.  New in 1963 appears to be for the Princess phones.

Andy:  The North set is interesting.  Is it painted?  The handset looks like a Connecticut handset.  Is it?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Quote from: paul-f on June 24, 2011, 08:24:40 PM

The various names shown for a color code in the table are different marketing names that were used by various operating companies for the same color.

Oh, good!  I was distressed thinking it would be akin to telling the difference between white, off-white, and eggshell!  Especially if they had faded!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

K1WI

Paul F
    TheNorth set has some type of a coating or plating on the metal base.  It is much stronger and durable n paint. The handset has no markings at all  . I thought it might be made by  Connecticut Tel but is a little bit smaller. I have a gray Conn Tel one that has a magnet built into it , aaperently for a reed switch switchhook ,
this has the same shape but is smaller.  THe cords are not original they were straight rubber cords in a darker gray . I usually remove the cords for storage when I put a phone on display to preserve them .
   And as always thanks for all the info I have garnered from you and your web sight.
            Andy    K1WI

Dan

Quote from: Dave F on June 24, 2011, 03:00:18 PM
Here's my latest addition to this category -- 1956 Oxford Gray 500.  It has taken many years to finally be able to cross this one off the want-list.

Revision: I have reposted the photo after adjusting the brightness and contrast to help show that the phone is indeed gray and not black.

Congrats--This is my last colured  500 I need. I have the two tone. Great score
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dave F

Quote from: Dan on June 25, 2011, 09:04:20 AM
Quote from: Dave F on June 24, 2011, 03:00:18 PM
Here's my latest addition to this category -- 1956 Oxford Gray 500.  It has taken many years to finally be able to cross this one off the want-list.

Revision: I have reposted the photo after adjusting the brightness and contrast to help show that the phone is indeed gray and not black.

Congrats--This is my last colured  500 I need. I have the two tone. Great score
You must have a stellar collection of 500s.  Of the early colors, I only have this oxford, a med. blue, and a mahogany.  Oddly, I still don't have a rose beige which is supposedly the easiest of them all to find.

DNO

I realized I had lost my battle to NOT start a phone collection when I found this 1979 light grey NE 500 in a thrift store today.  I just couldn't leave it there!  It's a gorgeous phone and has a real pale green cast to the colour that doesn't really show in this photo.
David

Dave F

Quote from: DNO on March 20, 2013, 05:57:59 PM
I realized I had lost my battle to NOT start a phone collection when I found this 1979 light grey NE 500 in a thrift store today.  I just couldn't leave it there!  It's a gorgeous phone and has a real pale green cast to the colour that doesn't really show in this photo.

Congratulations -- that's a real beauty.  Quite a find in a thrift store!

Dave F

DNO

Thanks, Dave.  Gotta love those thrift stores!
David

paul-f

Armiger sets came up in a different topic, but since it is grey, it fits nicely here.

This is model AA-503-3B, dated 2/87.  The label on the bottom indicates there was also a touch tone model, AA-2503-3B.  It has the exclusion plunger and an electronic tweeter (instead of a ringer).

paul-f

I'm getting another "Gray fix" today.

Here are some from Western Electric.

- 500C
- AUTOVON Adjunct (opaque buttons)
- 592 ringer
- 500-style minis in light and dark gray (two in the center are also pen holders).

paul-f

Here are some more...

- Kellogg 500 - dark gray (rounded handset ends)
- Kellogg 558 - lt gray
- Kellogg 500 - two-tone "banjo"
- Stromberg Carlson TD-85, Dial-X
- Stromberg Carlson Slenderet - Swirl
- North H - Dark gray and Maroon

paul-f

And even more...

- Ericovox - tone
- Hitachi HAW-61
- Telequest Prism
- Telequest Softel
- WE 2503 (data)
- WE 2515 (2-line)

Dave F

Matilo Telephones

Here grey was the standard color for the middle 60ies till the mid 70ies. So lots of grey.

Here are some of mine.

T65, standard telephone of the Dutch PTT
Trimphone, classic desing phone from GPO (special thanks to GeneGenie, who sent it to me)
Ericovox, rotary version
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones