La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

andre_janew

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on August 29, 2015, 07:08:10 PM
And you thought Western Electric potbellys brought big bucks:

I fully understand these prices are not out of line for that great, old and near perfect WE sound reproduction and amplification equipment (speakers, tubes and amps), but an engraving? A picture? Ah, the deep pockets within the art world, I guess.

He's sold some items ranging from $200 to just over $1,000 so the market speaks on those transformers, tubes, etc. But a framed picture?

andre_janew

I suppose being an early engraved silver one has something to do with it. 

Fabius

For what I hear people say on the antique radio forum and the audiophile forum the Chinese have drove the price sky high on this type of Western Electric equipment.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on August 30, 2015, 07:54:03 PM
For what I hear people say on the antique radio forum and the audiophile forum the Chinese have drove the price sky high on this type of Western Electric equipment.

It's been some time since I've seen them on eBay but those large circular horn speakers (if that's what they are called) that I think were used to project sound in movie theaters went for big money. Something about the construction gave the horns a resonance that produced both near perfect and well amplified sound, IIRC.

So, the Asian market are just audiophiles or they think they can re-verse engineer duplicates, or both?

Fabius

Quote from: TelePlay on August 30, 2015, 08:10:26 PM

So, the Asian market are just audiophiles or they think they can re-verse engineer duplicates, or both?

They are audiophiles with newly found disposable income.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Partyline4

I used to see a bunch of that stuff coming out of Korea...