News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I clear up a "distinct click" in a SC 1197 equipped with a WE 581A subset

Started by RotoTech99, June 15, 2019, 06:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I need some help, Please in clearing up a distinct click sound when picking up or depressing the hook on my SC1197 desk stand wired to a WE 581A subset...

It's wired as follows:

1. INSIDE THE 1197: (subset cable)
Yel. to B, Red to G, Green to F
2. HANDSET CONN. IN THE 1197:
Red to G, Yel. to A, Grn. to A
3. SUBSET CABLE TO 4010B IN WE 581A:
Red to R, Grn. to L1, Yel. to L2
4. RINGER: Red to K, Bk. to L1
5. LINE: Red to L2, Grn. to L1, Yel. & Bk. to G

For pictures of it see my other postings regarding it. I've also put its pic's here for
faster reference if needed.

Any advice  and  ideas on wiring changes to clear up the click are accepted with Thanks.

RotoTech99

rdelius

Does your SC set have 2 sets of hook switch pile-ups? If so make sure the telephone goes off hook before the rec is put in the circuit.Also if an old diaphragm rec, put a varistior across the rec capsule. You can remove one from a U3 rec capsule

RotoTech99

Dear Rdelius:

My SC1197 has two sets of hookswitch contacts, two on the left, two on the right.

I'm not sure how to do what you mentioned, but I could add the varistor by attaching it to the receiver capsule spring contacts, then put the capsule back in.

Would that work?

RotoTech99

My receiver capsule is the non positional drop in type.

tubaman

A couple of cheap 1N4007  diodes (in fact 1N4003 or better should be ok) back to back across the receiver will fix this.
The GPO had a part called a Rectifier 205 for exactly this purpose - it was just two diodes in a custom package.
:)

poplar1

Quote from: RotoTech99 on June 15, 2019, 06:10:07 PM
Dear Forum:

I need some help, Please in clearing up a distinct click sound when picking up or depressing the hook on my SC1197 desk stand wired to a WE 581A subset...

It's wired as follows:
3. SUBSET CABLE TO 4010B IN WE 581A:
Red to R, Grn. to L1, Yel. to L2
4. RINGER: Red to K, Bk. to L1
5. LINE: Red to L2, Grn. to L1, Yel. & Bk. to G
RotoTech99

You are bypassing the network by connections the subset câble to L1 and L2.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

Ok, so what wiring changes should I make?

Can you give me an idea of what changes to  make with my existing wiring,  and, if  i need to add any straps or jumpers to accomplish it,  please?

RotoTech99

poplar1

Try this:

Jumper from L1 to RR on network.

Connect receiver lead to GN

Connect transmitter lead to L2 (transmitter should be in series with the hookswitch)

Connect common transmitter/receiver lead to R

If there are 2 sets of hookswitch leads, then the receiver should open before the transmitter.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

Hi, I made the changes you suggested, that did the "trick", now the click I described is replaced by a more "normal volume level".

The only thing that threw me was my color coding for my subset cable (the one I made the wiring changes at the subset with) was different than my handset cord color coding.

The subset cable was coded red, yel., green
.. the handset cord was coded red, white, green. (I didn't change it.)

So now, outside of the " offbeat" subset (the 581A), it's a full function manual deskstand with subset ringer.

HarrySmith

Congrats! Another problem solved by the collective knowledge and experience here. This is a great example of what this forum is supposed to be!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotoTech99

Dear Harrysmith:

I might add a 63A brass gong to the ringer for a more classic sounding ring from the subset.

I am always grateful for info I get that I don't have from other forum members.

RotoTech99