Main Menu

Safety issue: Grounding the Panasonic PBX

Started by cloyd, April 18, 2016, 07:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

That is still a wise thing to do!

dsk

unbeldi

Static electricity is always a concern with circuitry such as these Panasonic systems, because they use CMOS chips for the CPU and peripherals, IIRC.

I don't really see an issue with providing the extra ground connection via the designated terminal, no matter what is connected via the power cord ground. I think this is a non-issue, because the unit has no customer reachable metal parts, aside perhaps from the hinges the door uses, and those are isolated anyways, I think.

As Tina stated to begin with, the manual explicitly states the requirement.

The manuals also outline a test procedure to measure proper insulation of any metal part to the power line, and state, I think, that this should be performed on installation.

That said, I still have not operated any of mine with that ground strap connected to anything. I haven't had mine connected to an actual landline by which a metallic conductor comes inside from the wild west. I have always only had other devices in front, either a channel bank or a VoIP ATA.

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 20, 2016, 09:32:03 PM
I think this topic has been over analyzed.  Yep, plastic case.  Grounded plug.  I don't think it needs any more special grounding than your average desktop computer.  (Unless your house is an older one without grounded outlets.  Then you might consider a ground because you might have some noise on the lines.  Maybe, maybe not)

I agree with Bill's statements.

However, if you want/need to use the two ground points some items to consider.
Don't daisy chain the ground from equipment to equipment.
Use a good ground source, not the ground at the SAC receptacle. Go to the main electrical ground.
Ensure a good bare metal connection, use a star washer if needed.
Apply NO-OX to ensure no corrosion will happen.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI