News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Convert AC Wall Wart Powered Illumination to Phone Line Powered LED Illumination

Started by markosjal, January 11, 2018, 05:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I have struggled with this somewhat and figure there must be a sulution.

Aside from dimming circuit in Princess phones, I figure there must be an easy method for converting AC Power dial light phones to phone line powered LED operation.

The schematics I have looked at seem to lack important details like component values.

It would see logical to be able to rinky dink the Black/Yellow pair to a bridge rectifier, resistor then change out the lamp for a normal LED lamp .  Of course you may not get great brightness and may have to forgo the dimming in a princess phone.

any opinions on this?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

ThePillenwerfer

Assuming the on-hook voltage to be 50V a 10kΩ resistor would allow 5mA to get to the LED, which is enough to operate a modern one, and hopefully not loop the line.

I think it's one of those 'try it and see' things.  Personally I wouldn't be keen as the telco could detect the current draw and think it's a fault.

Ed Morris

Would it matter if the phone is on a fiber optic line as the power originates on the customer side of the NIB?
Ed

Dan/Panther

You may want to view the information in another thread that covers very similar concerns with LED's and The Princess Phone.

D/P

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19568.msg200819#msg200819

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

poplar1

The last AT&T Princess --  the 2703BMG Signature -- had an LED dial which was line powered when the phone was off-hook. However, if a subscriber also wanted the nightlight feature, it was necessary to connect an external transformer!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

Princess night light aside  Trimlines only light when off hook.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

kb3pxr

The LED circuit in the 220AL Trimline is equal to being between RR and C on a Princess or 500 series. Connecting an LED circuit between RR and C will provide line power dial lamp service. Remember, the resistor for the LED circuit is still required AND either a bridge rectifier, an inverse parallel set of LEDs (only one will illuminate), 2 pin dual color LED (color varies by polarity), or a pull from a Trimline set (Inverse parallel on one chip) is required as a polarity guard.

twocvbloke

Although this video is themed around "free hidden electricity", this may shed some light (badum-tish!) on phoneline-powered LED lighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaLGvJkoP8

Not recommended for "emergency power" though, given a lot of "phonelines" over there are now just VoIP boxes, and soon to be even moreso given the enforced cutting of copper by the powers that be...