News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Toast, anyone?

Started by Phonesrfun, August 29, 2015, 10:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

My latest find today is the old toaster.  I thought I would take a picture next to the TP-6-A "Toaster" phone.  The toaster, itself is REALLY dusty inside, but the element and the ceramic insulators and the line cord and the plugs on both ends of the cord are intact and look good.  I'm not going to plug it in for fear that the element could just disintegrate after all these years.  It's just going to be a shelf-piece.  I will clean it up a bit.  The chrome plating is in kind of bad shape.  The knob on the side that opens and closes the doors is also in tact.

It was 5 bucks at a thrift store.
-Bill G

twocvbloke

Is that the Australian model? ;D

(pis are upside-down!)

As for plugging it in, you probably could do it with a variac and bring it slowly up to voltage, and if the wire did blow, then it's easy to replace as you can buy the stuff easily as it's just resistance wire... :)

It'd probably work better than some of the cheap toasters barfed out of china today, that's for sure... ;D

Phonesrfun

Administrator help. 

The pictures attached to my last post come up as right-side up when I look at them on my computer from the location where they are saved.  When I look at what I just posted, they are upside-down.

So....  I went back into the pictures on my computer, opened each and rotated them 180 degrees and re-saved them.  Un-posted the pictures from this the original post and saved it with no pictures.  Then, I reposted that post with the newly saved pictures and once again upside down.

To anyone viewing my last post:

Until we get this fixed, you will just have to stand on your heads to view.  Sorry.

-Bill G

twocvbloke

Weird thing is, click on the pictures to view the larger versions, and they're the right way up.... ???

Greg G.

Bill,  are you using Windows 10?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

That explains why the toast keeps falling out of the toaster.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Okay, clicked on one picture and it opened up in a new window right side up. Clicked on that image to enlarge it. Saved that image. It saved upside down. Opened up the image in a cheap editor, rotated it, saved it, uploaded it and it seems to be orientated correctly. Did the same thing with the second image.

That was weird, a right side up photo was saved upside down.

I left the original images in the first post along with my rotated images in case anyone wants to play around with them to figure out what is or what has happened.

Just a guess but I'd bet the original images were captured with a smart phone. Where they?

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on August 29, 2015, 10:33:09 PM
Bill,  are you using Windows 10?
Yes, and took the picture on my iphone and emailed it to myself before saving it on the computer.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Fabius on August 29, 2015, 10:49:17 PM
That explains why the toast keeps falling out of the toaster.

Ah Ha!  I was wondering why.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 29, 2015, 10:21:27 PM
Weird thing is, click on the pictures to view the larger versions, and they're the right way up.... ???

Totally weird.
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

The reason that some software displays the images upside down is because they are actually upside down.  The EXIF tags in the JPEG files indicate that the images are rotated 180 degrees, and at least some software reads those tags and rotates the images accordingly for display, but the actual image data is upside down.

You can see this information with a EXIF viewer utility like this one: http://regex.info/exif.cgi.

Larry

andre_janew

Toasters like this one are not automatic.  You have to watch them to make sure you don't burn your toast.  They also toast on one side.  You have to flip the bread over to toast the other side.  Also, they use the same type of cord as the old perculators.  I know these things because I used to have one similar to it.

twocvbloke

There were later toasters where you pushed and pulled a lever and it would flip the bread to toast the other side, quite clever for the day... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 30, 2015, 07:29:37 AM
The reason that some software displays the images upside down is because they are actually upside down.  The EXIF tags in the JPEG files indicate that the images are rotated 180 degrees, and at least some software reads those tags and rotates the images accordingly for display, but the actual image data is upside down.

So, Larry, are you saying that if the iPhone were rotated 180 degrees before taking those pictures, the EXIF tags would have saved and posted the picture in its as framed on the iPhone when taking the picture?

And, if that's the case, members using a smart phone could determine which way the phone should be held when taking a picture so they upload it to the forum it shows correctly, that is, not on its side or upside down. Right?

If so, that would save a lot of hassle and time used to correct those images that post "funny" on the forum.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on August 30, 2015, 02:33:33 PM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 30, 2015, 07:29:37 AM

So, Larry, are you saying that if the iPhone were rotated 180 degrees before taking those pictures, the EXIF tags would have saved and posted the picture in its as framed on the iPhone when taking the picture?

And, if that's the case, members using a smart phone could determine which way the phone should be held when taking a picture so they upload it to the forum it shows correctly, that is, not on its side or upside down. Right?

If so, that would save a lot of hassle and time used to correct those images that post "funny" on the forum.

Yes, that is correct.  The images are really upside down, and the EXIF information says that they are so software can rotate them before displaying them.  I was ignorant about this issue until relatively recently.  My boss/client took some pictures with his iPhone while on vacation and then asked me why they appeared upside down when viewed in our software, so I did a quick investigation and learned about the EXIF information.  One thing to keep in mind about this information is that it is very specific about when and where the images were acquired, so if you don't want people to know where and when things happened, don't post pictures of them without first stripping off the EXIF information.

Larry