News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 20 AL with 2AB Doesn't Break DT

Started by Doug Rose, July 30, 2011, 02:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet and I found a real nice WE 20AL at a yard sale this morning. It is a working phone, but the 2AB doesn't break dial tone. It already had this modular line cord on it and wired as is. Phone works, conversation is great both ways, but it won't break DT through my Panasonic 616. Black wire is green, white is red on line cord. I swapped them for sh*ts & giggles, still can't dial out. When I moved the red to the red next to the green on the small interface, no dial tone at all. I'm not real familiar with these sticks, is it wired correctly?....thanks in advance...Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

You might dress that wire away from that pulsing cam.
Robby

Sargeguy

Interesting phone.  I have to start going to yard sales in your neighborhood.  A couple things stand out. How is it wired to the switch?  Does it have a 20AL switch or a dial switch.   20ALs did not come with dials, they were strictly manual.  Is the perch stamped 151AL anywhere?  Although if its a 151AL then it shouldn't have that dial, it would have a #5.  Can you post more pics of the rest of the phone, especially the dial?  What transmitter does it have?  Are the transmitter cup holes notched?  Is the cup marked?  The rubber cords suggest that it is a 1930s era refurb, one which pre-dates the 151AL.  Either that or it belonged to an independent, or it could have been somebody's science project.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Is that a Bulldog transmitter I see in the background?  The dial is stamped I30, which dates it to the end of the period when they made #2s, right before 4Hs took over.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenny C

Sarge didnt the 151AL have another terminal board???

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Sargeguy

Good point!  It must be a 51AL that somehow acquired a 20AL perch, probably when it got the bulldog transmitter.  The Bell System would usually obliterate the old mark and re-designate the perch, so it may have been done in the field.  Or else a guy had two phones and got confused after he took them apart.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

I am at work, so I'll check when I get home. It is a bulldog and the perch was very hard to read. I still have to check the wiring on the dial as Robbie suggested. I don't want to do too much as the phone is working as found except for the dial. I am out of room so this will be finding a new home. ....Doug
Kidphone