News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 subset won't ring.

Started by Greg G., December 20, 2011, 04:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

From what I've gathered, this shouldn't be that hard, but it's frustrating me.  Trying to follow wiring diagrams I found here, but this ringer has 4 wires, whereas the diagrams I'm using only show 2.  I just left the two extra off for now.  Everything but the ringer functions.  This is supposed to be a Christmas gift for the gf, but I'm about ready to give up and give here a different subset, but she wanted this one because it can be moved around more easily than the real subsets.  The ringer has B1A embossed on the front, but B2A stamped in ink on top of that.  I hope I got the right ringer.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

The two "extra" wires you left off are probably colored slate and slate/red.  They should be connected together.  That should make your ringy-dingy work.

Since there is no extra terminal in the phone to connect these to, you should just use a little machine screw and nut to tie them together and then tape the ends so they dont touch something else.

-Bill G

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 20, 2011, 04:57:00 PM
The two "extra" wires you left off are probably colored slate and slate/red.  They should be connected together.  That should make your ringy-dingy work.

Since there is no extra terminal in the phone to connect these to, you should just use a little machine screw and nut to tie them together and then tape the ends so they dont touch something else.

I tried holding them together during an incoming call, but still no ringy.  Maybe it's the wrong two wires.  I'm not sure I have all the other wires on correctly, I'll have to go through and check them all using the diagram Harry linked to.  And BTW Harry, thanks for posting that link, I knew I saw a different diagram somewhere here, just couldn't find it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

You also have too many things connected to the K terminal.  K should only have the capacitor slate wire and the ringer black wire.

Use the GND terminal to tie the black capacitor wire to the black wire going to the 202.  Disconnect the yellow line cord wire from the GND terminal and tape and store it away.

Therefore, the 302 subset should be wired as follows, given that your ringer has 4 wires:

Red ringer wire to L1
Slate ringer wire connected to the slate/red ringer wire
Black ringer wire to terminal K
Slate capacitor wire to terminal K
Yellow capacitor wire to L2/Y on the induction coil

Red capacitor wire to Terminal C on the induction coil
Black capacitor wire to terminal GND

Black 202 wire to terminal GND
Red 202 wire to R on the induction coil
Green 202 wire to GN on the induction coil
Yellow 202 wire to L2/Y on the induction coil

Red line cord wire to L1 on the induction coil
Green line cord wire to L2/Y on the induction coil
Yellow line cord wire - tape and store
Black line cord wire (If present) - tape and store

-Bill G

Greg G.

Eureka!  That worked!  Thanks Bill!  Your written instructions should go in the forum tech library.  The two "extra" wires on the ringer I taped together with electrical tape, that worked fine.  (Better than holding them together which produces a mild shock!) 

I was working on this thing at the gf's place (she already knows about the phone as a gift), and when I demonstrated it, she says "Is there a way to turn the ringer off? It's kinda loud."  ARGHH!  
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Ha ha.  That is almost typical.  I love it.

You can adjust the position of the gongs around their off-center mounting holes which is designed to change the ringer volume.  If it's still too loud, you can always unhook any one of the ringer wires and tape and store.  That'll silence it completely, as you already know.

Good Luck!

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 23, 2011, 01:01:48 AM
Ha ha.  That is almost typical.  I love it.

You can adjust the position of the gongs around their off-center mounting holes which is designed to change the ringer volume.  If it's still too loud, you can always unhook any one of the ringer wires and tape and store.  That'll silence it completely, as you already know.

Good Luck!

I'll try to explain to her that silencing a vintage phone is bordering on sinful.   I'll try adjusting the gongs.
- Mike Row
e