"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Aches and Pains

Started by Doug Rose, November 23, 2017, 09:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Good chance to drop my 2 cents in here.
I have had lots of joint problems, a failed back surgery, and a few car wrecks.
Leaves you pretty messed up!
For 19and 41, nothing stops nerve pain except, removal of the infraction that is rubbin on the nerve.
Chiropractic helps bunches...if you have sublexations. cant spell...
For JimS, most of those rub on's are pepper based, not sure about lido... I cant use icy/hot, burns like a MF!
but plenty of others out there that don't burn.
For AE Collector, car seats just s^(k!!! the best thing, is to stay off them, but if not option, a WEB type lumbar thing works very well.
just stay away from those crappy foam pads. they cause more problems.
Cant remember who posted about the CANE. thay is wunderfull!!!!! just be careful not to apply TOO much pressure, they can bruise too.

TelePlay

Quote from: RB on November 30, 2017, 10:24:18 AM
Good chance to drop my 2 cents in here.
I have had lots of joint problems, a failed back surgery, and a few car wrecks.
Leaves you pretty messed up!
For 19and 41, nothing stops nerve pain except, removal of the infraction that is rubbin on the nerve.
Chiropractic helps bunches...if you have sublexations. cant spell...
For JimS, most of those rub on's are pepper based, not sure about lido... I cant use icy/hot, burns like a MF!
but plenty of others out there that don't burn.
For AE Collector, car seats just s^(k!!! the best thing, is to stay off them, but if not option, a WEB type lumbar thing works very well.
just stay away from those crappy foam pads. they cause more problems.
Cant remember who posted about the CANE. thay is wunderfull!!!!! just be careful not to apply TOO much pressure, they can bruise too.

RB,

Good points. Used several of these over the years for pains, many of which were due to back muscles pulling my spine out of alignment causing the nerve bundle to send false signals to the brain - many deep muscle massage and many chiropractic sessions got rid of a lot of arm, hand, leg and foot pain. Before that, I used topicals.

Biofreeze is menthol which cools the skin surface and the body send whatever to that spot to help relieve the pain. Feels good, doesn't do much long term to eliminate the underlying cause.

Capsaicin Cream is made with ground capsaicin peppers which heat the skin causing the body to send whatever to that spot to help relieve the cause of the pain. Feels hot, doesn't do much long term and after applying, if you rub an itchy eye, well, sorry, it's going to burn like hell for a good half hour. I used exam gloves to put it on and then threw the glove away.

But on Doug's advice, I tried Lidocaine which is a topical anesthetic used by doctors for numbing the skin and of great use for pre-injection, skin biopsies or anything where the skin needs to be deadened before doing a procedure. It's different that the above two in that it deadens nerves rather than activates them to feel cool or hot.

I tried the lidocaine gel on my whole right arm and it got rid of 90% of the pain long term in a few days time. I think the muscle I injured two years ago was causing me to misuse the other muscles in my arm making the whole arm hurt. Numbing the pain allowed the muscles to recover and my arm is almost back to normal. Only problem I have with lidocaine is with one of its side effects, I get a headache that lasts for about 36 hours after applying it. After the headache is gone, follow up applications within a day's time does not prolong or restart the headache. As headaches go, and I've had my share of migraines and hang overs, it's not as bad as those but it stays at a constant, low level until its gone and that is very annoying.

19and41

I've been fortunate in not getting arthritis, but I did have the side effect from prescribed statin drugs that nearly incapacitated me.  I also have excema that comes with cold weather.  That has been a plate full for me.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke