News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why we collect

Started by carl, January 24, 2010, 06:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

Bill,Jim,et al...My own job is at times stressful,working in a medical center,so collecting for me is really a way to achieve some
relaxation/satisfaction.I enjoy looking for and finding these oldtimers and am really enthused when I can repair one,sometimes with
the help of those on this site..thanks again Bill.I recently decided to clear some shelf space and sold a few of the guys to someone
who was elated over the find,and especially when I showed the pink princess,which I also let go,so even if I don't have them
anymore,I know that someone else is adding to their own collection,thanks to me,which is also gratifying.I also collect old tvs,beta vcrs,
old tapes of even older tv shows and more...much to the chagrin of my wife.I actually think nothing of climbing into my vintage Jaguar,
which is like me..old but in good condition,and driving fifty or more miles to Long Island if there's something interesting advertised.
For some strange reason my wife is okay with me being gone the whole day..probably just  a false front she puts on,as I'm sure she's
at the window watching for me to pull in....sure.Well,I've shot my mouth off enough,so I'll close for now,as I'm working on a 50s tv.
Here's a pic of a cool,non rotary phone that I actually use,and almost let go some time ago.The ringing can be heard down the block!

Phonesrfun

Carl:

That's great.  Good to hear from you again.  Have fun in that Jag!

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Vern P

As a kid I wanted my own phone in my room. I grew up in the late '60, so there was only one phone in the house.

How some time later, I do have a phone in my room and a BIG room for my phones.

Collecting phone as aloud me to travel and see more places that I would ever have, if I didn't collect them.

Many of you have heard about my "Road Trips", last years trip was 24 days and 5,600 miles thur 6 states. I came back with some GREAT stuff !!  I also got to meet with 12 other collcters.

I tell of my road trips, not for an ego trip, but to show and share that GOOD stuff is still out there to be found, just not on eBay or from aother collector. 

But a telephone show is still the BEST place to find and talk about phones.

As you don't get that funny look when you say "I am looking for telephones", and not the one behind the counter.

Yes I still enjoy working on them too. Bring them back to life, helping other to understand the history of them. And enjoy them as a art forum.

Vern P

HobieSport

Carl: You had me on "Vintage Jag". Pictures please?

Vern: It's not an ego trip at all to share your "Road Trips" and great finds.  Do tell!
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on January 25, 2010, 10:50:51 AM
Vern: It's not an ego trip at all to share your "Road Trips" and great finds.  Do tell!

Ditto!  Even with relatives in the Vancouver/Portland area, I was initially aghast at making trips down there just for phones.  That changed after reading of Vern's road trips.  12 from that area so far.  In order of acquisition:

NEC Type 3 Automatic.
WE 202 w/wooden subset.
Third trip - 8 phones:   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1564.0
(That trip made me a member of the 302 and 5302 club).
Last trip was when I got the 48 US Army Signal Corp phone and the 41 WE Spacesaver.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e