News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Subset 634 BC

Started by Logan1, January 19, 2023, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan1

What does the BC mean on my Westen electric 634 BC subset.can it be used on a WE candle stick phone.  THANKS
Worked at Western Electric in Plymouth Mich

MMikeJBenN27

Don't know what BC means, but BB and BD are local battery subsets, whereas A and AR are common battery.  Yes, you can use the common battery sets with your desk stand, (candle stick), but unless it is a 151 AL, it will still be Side-Tone, as there is no place to put the black wire in the subset cord.

Mike

G-Man

poplar1

The 634 BC was often used with the 151C desk stand (candlestick) for the tip party station on 2-party message rate lines.
(Ref: BSP Section C63.374, issue 3, 6-28-45 in TCI Library.)

Do you have a 151C desk stand?

The 634 BC and 684 BC subsets were also used with the 203-type hand telephone set (D6 handset mounting).
(Ref: BSP Section C32.103, i1, 6-1-31 in TCI Library).

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Logan1

I have a Western Electric candle stick desk phone with out dial. Also what  diagram do I use.

G-Man

Quote from: Logan1 on January 20, 2023, 12:11:46 PMI have a Western Electric candle stick desk phone with out dial. Also what  diagram do I use.
It will depend on what model of deskstand (candlestick) you have and since there are dozens of different types of sidetone/anti-sidetone sets, please provide that or other information so we can provide you with a more specific answer. Or, as Harry sez, provide  plenty of photos that show the inside terminals and line cord.

In this instance, if you have a 151C deskstand, then use the wiring diagram on page-3 of the link that was provided in an earlier reply, that shows connections with a 634BC/684BC subset.

If you have another model of deskstand, once you tell us what it is, we can then provide instructions on how to connect it (with/without dial) with this subset.

Logan1

I found the numbers 20AB on the western Electric candle stick. I has the rail road hook on it. Thanks

poplar1

The 20AB is sidetone. The 634BC is anti-sidetone. So, they are not really compatible. 

Some 20ABs have additional components mounted on the baseplate. Could you check?

There is a way to rewire a sidetone candlestick to function with an anti-sidetone subset, using a 5-conductor cord, rather than a 3-conductor.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Logan1

Logan1

What would be a good W E subset for the 20AB phone, I do not think I will use the 634 BC. Thanks again.

Contempra

Quote from: Logan1 on January 22, 2023, 07:12:53 AMWhat would be a good W E subset for the 20AB phone, I do not think I will use the 634 BC. Thanks again.

Mine works very well, I have no complaints. It is true that I do not use it every day either since I change phones every day. Have a nice day Logan .

MMikeJBenN27

I thought if you tape and store the black wire in the subset cord, you can use an anti-sidetone subset with a side-tone phone, it just will function as if it were a sidetone unit.  Don't you have to replace the switch with one that has another leaf to make it an anti-sidetone phone?

Mike