News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Show us your pay-phone

Started by BDM, March 01, 2009, 11:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

This is mine. I bought it for a song & dance some years back. It's complete, except the original network has been replaced with a modern circuit board network. Not by me. It's a Northern Electric version, but completely W.E. as far as parts go. Some are marked N.E., but still look completely W.E.  The handset says Northern Electric G3

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I bought this AE about 4 months ago for $200.00, it also has the new network, and coin gear stripped out, it still has the chims when you deposit coins. it also has a brown handset painted black.
I'm working on a way to make it so you have to put in a coin to make it operate.

I was thinking of making a modification to the receiver hook pivot arm, when you lift the receiver, a lever would  block the coin drop, then when you deposit a coin, the lever would stop the coin at the spot where the microswitch is mounted, the coin would make the microswitch, that would turn the phone on. Then when you hang up the receiver, it would allow the coin to continue on its way to the coin box, which would allow the microswitch to open, and turn the phone off.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Ahhh yes, I remember when you posted it. Mine still has the working coin assembly. Just the network was changed out. Of course the coin operator has nothing to do with operation. I've thought about bringing it back to proper operation, and let my daughter use it to call her friends. With a timer of course ;) She can pay the phone bill.....lol
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

mienaichizu

I'm planning to get one to, I seen one but I'm still thinking if I should get it.  I'll ask the seller if I can take a photo of it

Dennis Markham

This is my pay phone that I bought from our old buddy Red Green.  Thought you might like to see a picture of it.

Seriously, the only real pay phone I have is very new...in fact, brand new...and it's.......(shhh don't tell anyone.......touch tone)

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Well I don't have any payphones, but Dennis' Red Green payphone ( ;)) reminds me of the "Redneck Palm Pilot": ;D

Dennis Markham

Ellen

my sister sent me this; what is it?

Steve K

Ellen:

If you are asking what type of phone that is it is a  Siemens & Halske model 36 German telephone.

Steve

Ellen

mienaichizu

Quote from: Steve K on March 02, 2009, 01:14:25 PM
Ellen:

If you are asking what type of phone that is it is a  Siemens & Halske model 36 German telephone.

Steve

lots of those phones were seen in the movie Valkyrie

GG

PhoneCo in Galesville Wisconsin (Ron Knappen & associates) make or used to make a circuit board for those old paystations, that would handle postpay service as follows:

Lift receiver, get dial tone, dial intended number; transmitter is shunted for calls of more than 3-digits (so 9-1-1 is free).  When called party answers, deposit coin, which passes through a microswitch, that in turn causes the transmitter to be enabled.   In other words a self-contained version of a common postpay phone.

At 3 minutes (or whatever time is set on the circuit board, user-adjustable) you hear a beep in the receiver to deposit another coin or the call is disconnected shortly thereafter. 

Those circuit boards were less than $200 if I recall correctly, and could be retrofitted to any 3-slot phone to make it functional. 

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Steve K on March 02, 2009, 01:14:25 PM
Ellen:

Steve
Is this a 36 or a W48?

My guess is a W48.
JMO,
JIm
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Stan S. makes a realy cool Payphone line simulator (about $200.00 ).  If your payphone has been unmolested , the simulator makes it work like it is on a coin line.

It is alsa a good diagnostic tool when you are trying to get your payphone back to "unmolested" condition.

Jim

If your interested I can find a simulator auction.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.