"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from the UK!

Started by mickash, June 26, 2017, 08:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: mickash on June 29, 2017, 09:17:30 PM
It was a long time ago. Your distinctive name has stuck in my mind.
What does the "cv" in "twocvbloke" mean anyway?  Here it's a common abbrev. for curriculum vitea or resumé.   It's also a Bell System USOC (Universal Service Order Code) for a 500-type telephone.  So it could mean a guy who owns two 500 sets, but both possibilities seem unlikely for someone on this forum or in the UK.

Quote from: mickash on June 29, 2017, 09:17:30 PM
I must admit they aren't exactly beautiful, more functional in appearance.
To the contrary!  "Steampunk" is all the rage and this thing is quintessential steampunk!  It's a great looking item!

twocvbloke

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 29, 2017, 09:36:39 PM
What does the "cv" in "twocvbloke" mean anyway?

"Cheveaux Vapeur", 2CV being a french abbreviation of 2 Steam Horses, part of the old french taxation system on motor vehicles from a long time ago... :)

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 29, 2017, 11:58:35 PM
"Cheveaux Vapeur", 2CV being a french abbreviation of 2 Steam Horses, part of the old french taxation system on motor vehicles from a long time ago... :)
Ah! "Deux Cheveaux" was also a classic long ago Citroen model name IIRC.  We saw a few of those here but very few.  Thanks!

ThePillenwerfer

andy1702

Hello from a fellow Brit!

I centainly know what you mean about that vintage radio forum. I decided it was no longer worth bothering with too.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Dan/Panther

I remember very fondly when I was about 11 or so, my Dad would go to Palley's, a surplce store, that had everything you could imagine. I was always drawn to the surplus telephones.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mickash

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 29, 2017, 09:36:39 PM
To the contrary!  "Steampunk" is all the rage and this thing is quintessential steampunk!  It's a great looking item!

My wife would disagree ;)
Michael Ashley.

mickash

Quote from: andy1702 on June 30, 2017, 09:15:57 AM
Hello from a fellow Brit!

Hello Andy. Judging by your C*NET number you must be close to me. Not sure where 0246 81 was but I think 82 was Bolsover if I remember correctly. I'm near Alfreton.
Michael Ashley.

Alex G. Bell

andy1702

Quote from: mickash on June 30, 2017, 09:49:46 PM
Hello Andy. Judging by your C*NET number you must be close to me. Not sure where 0246 81 was but I think 82 was Bolsover if I remember correctly. I'm near Alfreton.

You're right, I'm actually in Bolsover. I do have a couple of c*net numbers for Bolsover hosted on a remote server. So when I set up my own server, because Bolsover was already hosted, I took on the next two exchanges, which are Clowne (0246 81) and Staveley (0246 87).

As well as collecting phones, I also have duplicates for sale in Bolsover Antiques Centre.

Andy
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

mickash

I'll have to have a nosey next time I'm up that way.
Michael Ashley.