News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'57 Moss Green 532

Started by Jester, March 13, 2010, 07:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

I just pulled the trigger & won this color early amplified set; #230444561230.  True to the comment made by Jim S. in finlover's 510 thread, this one ran me a few dollars more.  No regrets, though.
Stephen

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jester on March 13, 2010, 07:22:32 PM
I just pulled the trigger & won this color early amplified set; #230444561230.  True to the comment made by Jim S. in finlover's 510 thread, this one ran me a few dollars more.  No regrets, though.

That was on my snipe list when the subject came up. My snipe was low, because I was hoping to win the clear butt set. The receiver element was born 4 years before me.

I think you got a really nice HTF phone.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

A quick search doesn't find the 532 doc I was looking for, I did find302 style  (332,334) amplifier sets  C32.508 Issue 1, Oct 1955 AT&T standard.

On the 300 series the right hand plunger was your volume control.

I think the 532's came out about the same time. I did find a BSP for modifing the 532 (or 533) to work with a 1A1 key system. it is:

Addendum C32.557, Issue A 4-21-56-S TPT&TCo  (The Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company)

Pacific Telephone was a bit of a maverick, and had some sets that wern't typical in  the rest of the Bell system.

Jim
You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

Stephen:

I have one in black from 10-56. The handset cord was a little damaged and I had to shorten the handset cord a few loops to fix it. It is one of my favorite sets and the amplifier works very well.

You can hear some noise when you turn the knob, but when you stop turning it, the sound is excellent.

I posted an album here about it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WE1956Model532TelephoneWithAmplifierForTheHearingImpaired#

In an old almanac I have, I saw one with a smooth black cord. That would be a great find. But to find one in color, that is rare indeed.

We should call each other using the 532s. That would be a first in history!
Jorge

Jester

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 14, 2010, 03:11:37 PM
We should call each other using the 532s. That would be a first in history!

That would be cool! 8)  I looked through your album on this one.  That was one rough example when you got it--excellent job, as usual!  It looks like the loops you removed from the handset cord were on the base end.  I found out the hard way that that is the preferred repair for a cord used on a G-1 handset--if you don't want to shorten conductors & reattach spade connectors.  You can remove any amount of loops you want from the handset end when it's mounted on a G-3.  That deep hollow handle has enough room to pack a full serving of spaghetti inside, with room for the meatballs in the receiver & transmitter ends.  The pass through on the G-1 is a 5/16" diameter hole--there's no place to pack extra lengths of wire in there.
Stephen

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Jester

Jorge,

I think Jim was who mentioned this doc., but I can sure learn something from it.  Thank you for posting the link.
Stephen

Craig T

Another beauty to add to your collection of top-shelf phones from the 500 series Jester, excellent!

Jim Stettler

That isn't the document I mentioned, But I printed a copy to keep w/ my 532 (black, no handset). Thanks.
I was trying to find a date of introduction for the 532. I think I have a Hard copy BSP of an early issue.  I did find a post w/ some scans of an installers "sales" book. It was from 1954-55 and shows the 532. ( areally nice booklet) http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2249.msg29833#msg29833.

Russ Cowells booklet (1954)  also shows the 532.

I am almost certain that the earliest production date of the 532 was late 1954/ Early 1955. That was for the black one.

The 500 housing has a plastic "boss" molded into it for a "key" in this location. You can usually tell if the hole was factory or Field-drilled on these housing. I suspect this is a factory hole.

It is a very sweet set and well worth envying.
If I hadn't had pending snipes, then I might of won this set. My original snipe was $367.77,  $335 for my highest bid, + some to keep "losers remorse" from setting in. I had to scale back my snipe once sanity set in.

It is a very fine example of a HTF telephone.

Jim
You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

Jim S:

Look back at the Singing Wires issues. The July 2009 issue has an article about hearing impaired sets. The article starts in page 6. There is a section dedicated to the 532 through 536 models (page 7) that says that the model 532 was introduced in 1954.

Jorge

Jim Stettler

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 15, 2010, 06:31:25 PM
Jim S:

Look back at the Singing Wires issues. The July 2009 issue has an article about hearing impaired sets. The article starts in page 6. There is a section dedicated to the 532 through 536 models (page 7) that says that the model 532 was introduced in 1954.

Thanks Jorge,

I will look it up.
I would beleive the article, I suspect Paul F or Russ Cowell wrote it or collabrated. This is another Print-out for the sheet-protectoir that goes under the 532 when it gets displayed.

Thanks,
Jim
You live, You learn,