"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sudden jump in membership

Started by BDM, May 16, 2009, 12:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Quote from: McHeath on May 18, 2009, 10:05:18 AM
One nice thing about this forum, unlike a lot of others I lurked on, is that the people are not a-holes.  No snarky know it alls, no mean jerks who mock others, none of that, just good solid folks who enjoy the phone collecting hobby and like meeting others who are also interested. 

That's chased me off many a site.  I feel very at home here.  Like on other forums, you post stories and such and nobody gives a rip.  Here, it feels like people care what you're saying, and I think it feels that way because it's true.
- Tom

HobieSport

Yep, and also I'm guessing the general "good health" of the forum has to do with that it's a relatively small slow growing group, and the regular readers and posters have some sense of each others personalities, interests, skills, etc., unlike some large forums where things can get impersonal and sometimes downright uncivil.:P  I think Finlover said it well: Glad to be here.

Bill Cahill

I know that while my interest in phones hasn't been as great as I had hoped for, I enjoy reading posts, and, sometimes, posting myself.
This is a really great forum.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

mienaichizu

I agree! its nice to belong to this forums and share what we have

contraste

Friendliest forum I've come across and long may that remain the case.

HobieSport

And I'm also glad that we are getting more "international" members!  I love American phones but am interested in all phones from around the world. :)

foots

Quote from: Bill Cahill on May 18, 2009, 09:29:05 PM
I know that while my interest in phones hasn't been as great as I had hoped for, I enjoy reading posts, and, sometimes, posting myself.
This is a really great forum.
Bill Cahill  ;D

My interests in phones is greater than I had expected. My original intention was to fix the dial on my WE 500 and maybe buy one or two more restored phones to use because I like the simplicity and reliability of them, because I'm on a mission to replace as much as my Chinese (and other cheaply made foreign) appliances with as much as great Made In the USA stuff as possible such as radio, toaster, fans, lamps, ect.... that's it. Now I'm addicted to phones. Seems to be a great wealth of info available, and more importantly great people here.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Quote from: foots
I'm on a mission to replace as much as my Chinese (and other cheaply made foreign) appliances with as much as great Made In the USA stuff as possible such as radio, toaster, fans, lamps, ect..

I've been doing the same thing. I've written about this on other threads, but for me it all started when I fell in love and got a 1954 Roadmaster trailer, saw how amazingly well built it was, and realized that I'd be happier living in it than our late 1940s house, now that the kids are gone.  The house will be rented out this Fall.  They can call me "trailer trash" all they want. ;)

In looking at appropriate appliances for the trailer of the same era I soon discovered that with patience, I could get all very well made 1950s appliances on Ebay, in top working condition, for the same or less than buying the new crud. It started with the telephones, and now I have or am getting a radio, toaster, osterizer, broiler oven, lamps, fan, vacuum cleaner, pots and pans, clock, etc., all classic pieces from the 1950s (or close) that I'll use regularly.

Bill Cahill

I know the feeling. I'm doing much the same thing.
My 50's kitchen now has an oval yellow formica kitchen table, a red padded stool, metal, of course, a red 3 shelf kitchen cart for appliances, a 50's toastmaster toaster, a white 1950 mix master mixer the same model my mother had, and, some of the added attachments, a replacement for our mid 60's yellow WE 554 wall phone, and, a late 40's white metal stepping stool with rubber foot pad so you won't slip.
I'm looking for more goodies.
As some of you know, I'm working on finnishing my big love, exact replacement for our family tv set. A 1950 RCA Victor 16" console tv with doors. Please see my post in other section.
I'm totally hooked on American made stuff.
Warning, however. Not everything we made was good.
My grandmother oned had a electric deep fryer that ran on 155 volts.
One day she said it shorted out.
The cord was burned up.
My mother brought a new cord for it, and, they plugged it in.
BANG!!!
It blew a fuse with one very loud pop.
35 years ago,another was in the basement of an abandonned house in Detroit. I knew the owner of that house, and, they gave me permission to go in.
I did so, and, found the same model of deep fryer in the basement.
It had the same burn spot on it.
I asked them about it. The reply was they had plugged it in, and, it exploded in a shower of sparks, and, blew a fuse.
I'm staying away from those appliances.
Sorry. Got off topic here.
I love the old stuff, and, that includes my old telephones.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

I promised a photo of me fishing on the Erie Canal when I was 4 years old.
Can you imagine the restriction that would have to be in place for me to live that close to a river right in front of my house literally 40 feet from my front door. No fence, no rail no signs or lights for night.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

You've got some great pics of you as a kid!