News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oh great, shipping nightmares. Anyone come across this?

Started by Bridie, December 21, 2013, 05:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Bridie on January 18, 2014, 09:53:55 PM
So glad the phone is finally here

Pictures, please. After all we've been through, that phone is an old friend to us all . . .  ;)

AE_Collector

I hadn't heard anything about this likely because I have done so little on ebaY lately as well as that I have virtually anything that was sold from the USA shipped to my US address and I bring it home myself. Nice to have that option!

What does this service do to shipping prices from the US to Canada?

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 19, 2014, 12:54:15 PM
I hadn't heard anything about this likely because I have done so little on ebaY lately as well as that I have virtually anything that was sold from the USA shipped to my US address and I bring it home myself. Nice to have that option!

What does this service do to shipping prices from the US to Canada?

Terry
Well, I could give specific examples, but generally you pay a small amount to the program (percentage of final bid), plus the ship[ping charge, and then they select the cheaper shipping methods, sometimes Canpar, sometimes Fedex, most often Post, and appear to keep to mid range shipping, i.e. express vs. Priority. So it is a bit lower than priority rates...

An example from something I bought recently:

Item Bid: US $49.99
International Shipping : US $15.13
Import charges: US $10.73
Import charges include GST and Pitney Bowes' charges.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

So I guess the program eliminates the chance that the item might be delivered without any taxes or duties at all? Sort of like us returning (driving) to Canada in the Nexus lane versus a regular lane. If we are over our exemption amount in the nexus lane we will eventually be billed to or credit card. So we usually would take a regular lane as they are just as likely to say "close enough" and send us on our way.

Nexus is a trusted traveller program that pre-approves you through an extensive background check including fingerprints in exchange for money and the ability to use quicker lanes at the border.

Terry

Bridie

It's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!!!!  And it's lovely!  Needs some work but I knew that when I bought it.  Will post photos in a little while.
Bridget

Contempra

Quote from: Bridie on January 20, 2014, 11:10:47 AM
It's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!!!!  And it's lovely!  Needs some work but I knew that when I bought it.  Will post photos in a little while.

I'm happy for you Bridget :)

Bridie

I've posted photos of the lovely AE40 here.  Since this Drama-Trauma was caused by the buyer and seller (not understanding how the Global Shipping Program works) and not the Global Shipping Program itself, I'm going to give ebay another go eventually when I'm ready to buy more items.
Bridget