News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Number card format

Started by poplar1, May 24, 2013, 02:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Most number cards with a central office name + 4 numerals predate the widespread implementation of area codes and direct distance dialing. So they don't show an area code.

Here is a number card with both a central office name and an area code. This one is from Area Code 215, which includes the Philadelphia area. The 500 is dated 1962; I'm guessing the number card if from 1962 or 1963, since the phone does not appear to be refurbished.

Does anyone else have a similar card in their collection?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221231426622
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE40FAN

I like that dial card a lot!  I am still looking for a few early 60's dial cards with in the MA2-8765 style, LO2-5848....just a few examples.  Anyone have any for sale or have quality copies?

Mr. Bones

David,

Thanks for the nice pic! This is the format that my childhood 554 has.

AREA
     CODE
MEdford 7-3403

This will be helpful in replicating the transitional number cards...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Adam

I frequently save pics of phones and weird number cards off eBay.  Here are three weird number cards from my pic collection.

The first one is shows the exchange as TR2.  Isn't that weird?  Shouldn't it show either a whole exchange name word, or all digits?

The second shows the exchange as 24- and 5 digits, as opposed to 245- and 4 digits.  I've never seen one like that anyplace else.

Finally, a weirdly spaced GTE number card.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

poplar1

TR 2- was a later format for writing phone numbers. In fact, there were even prefixes such as LH 7- that had no history of a full name---no words beginning with LH come to mind.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

My pink 500 was like that.  It had the old two-letter exchange number card underneath the worn-out sticky.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e