"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I think I was robbed!

Started by sammytheboyboy, April 12, 2014, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammytheboyboy

Hello Everyone,
Since I am a newbie to this phonitis disease, I was wondering what you think of this phone I bought on E-Bay. The person selling it said he didn't know much about it but he thought it was worth something. I looked closely at the pics and saw the handset said Leich on it. There were no pics of the inside but it looked old and authentic to me. Then when I received it, I opened it up to find this. (Pictures attached). It has a warbler in it and looks to have a newer AE Dial with a plastic fingerwheel and some new electronics. I am ashamed to say what I paid for it. Collector? or rejecter? Thanks, Rich

rdelius

This is a Leich telephone that has been rebuilt, possibly by Phoneco.The only parts that i see that are not old are the cords,Dial fingerwheel,The dial is somewhat later but loooks the same from the outside,modern tweeter and network. You got the older handset that most refurbishers replace with a newer one.Cloth cords and possibly a metal AE dial fingerwheel would make the set look more origional.

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on April 12, 2014, 05:46:20 PM
This is a Leich telephone that has been rebuilt, possibly by Phoneco.

So, what was the original configuration of this desk set. Looks like it is missing a "subset" box that contained a battery and an "extension type" ringer by the wiring diagram. No magneto? Please explain, inform further.

rdelius

The same shell was used with different guts if Local battery (magnoto) or common battery with or without  a dial,there was a base extension so a ringer could be added ,there was a bakelite magneto box with or without a ringer or induction coil that could have mounted on the wall .sometimes the set was mounted on the wall with a "bee hive" looking mount that was made of bakelite and had a magnito and an induction coil if needed.If the set has no origional guts and the diagram is missing from the baseplate,it would be hard to determine which model it was..The TCI library has some information.I would put cloth cords on it and a metal fingerwheel and use it

TelePlay

Ah, yes, that rings a bell. Thanks.

Just like this VINTAGE-Leich-Desk-Dial-Telephone-Parts-or-Repair, at least one version of it.

Phonesrfun

Small point, but Leich phones were sold to independent phone companies.  It is not likely that a Leich would have a Bell System logo on the dial center.  I know, picky, picky, picky.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Rich...if your phone works, you got a nice phone. Seller might not have had any idea that this was "upgraded." Looks great from the outside, just get rid of that Bell System dial card.  8) With out seeing the inside, no one could have guessed that it was modernized. An original would not ring on incoming calls. We have all at one time or another, paid to much for a phone. It is a constant learning process.....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

If you want to feel better, check out Phoneco's price:

Leich phone with 1937 style handset with warbler
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

sammytheboyboy

Thanks Paul, I feel much better now!

Sargeguy

That dial card is a hallmark of a "modernization" of an old phone.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

And, for posterity and continuity in this topic, the Beehive version, just listed on eBay with an asked starting bid of $99 plus $15 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121318977708

Greg G.

Quote from: TelePlay on April 13, 2014, 08:06:40 PM
And, for posterity and continuity in this topic, the Beehive version, just listed on eBay with an asked starting bid of $99 plus $15 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121318977708

Unless I lived w/in driving distance of Salem, MA, in order to pick it up, I wouldn't touch it. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

sammytheboyboy

Here is something I missed. I took the finger wheel off and found a vinyl overlay for the numbers! A poor job too I might add! I think I will purchase an entire AE dial with metal finger wheel and replace the junk that is on there. Rich

Slal

Quote from: sammytheboyboy on April 14, 2014, 01:56:09 PM
Here is something I missed. I took the finger wheel off and found a vinyl overlay for the numbers! A poor job too I might add! I think I will purchase an entire AE dial with metal finger wheel and replace the junk that is on there. Rich

Hi Rich,

Know the feeling.  I'm pretty new here too & my first post was about getting had *big time* on a candlestick with repro stem, repro base, and 2AA dial with a notched number plate.  Finding a numbers only plate with no notch in it proving difficult and will probably be expensive.  : /

1st phone & 1st lesson-- I need to be careful out there!  Still like the candlestick even if not 100% original.

But back to yours-- why replace entire dial? 

If finger wheel is plastic & want metal one:

Old Phone Works (OPW) has a black one for $8.00 or $15 for brass.

PhoneCo wants $15-- pick your color.  Ask for Mary.  (She was really nice when I called and didn't seem in a rush just to take my order & get me off the phone.  Actually we ended up "bs-ing" about phones for a little while.)

Ask her if $15 black finger wheel is brass or aluminum.  I'd e-mail OPW too.  He's got parts galore, but he's usually more expensive.  Chances are the black one he has is probably aluminum & not brass painted black or he'd be charging 15 too, but that's just a guess. 

Have bought from both & think both are honest fwiw.  : ).

For number plates, same thing. 

OPW has  porcelain number plates for $15 bucks; PhoneCo has them for $12

Or...

These are just sitting in a box right now.  PM and can probably save you some money.  Beginners should stick together. ; )

Best wishes & enjoy the phone!

--Bruce

sammytheboyboy

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the advice and thanks for the support. I appreciate it. Attached are pics of my finger wheel and dial. It is from a newer AE phone. I would like to get a more original dial for it. The finger wheel is one of those that you have to stick a dial card to. Much like the AE 80. It only has a screw hole in the middle to fasten it. That's why I would like to get a complete period dial. Thanks, Rich.  :)