News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE 120B: Here I go again

Started by mentalstampede, April 25, 2017, 03:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

I took a chance on an advertised Automatic Electric 120 type phone. Seller advertised that is had two keys with it, but they didn't seem to open anything. I ended up buying it based on exterior photos alone, and ended up with this.

Exterior wise, it's a very good condition 120B. Much to my surprise, the two keys included were both to the vault lock, and no key to the upper housing was present. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on perspective, looking through the holes on the back of the housing showed that the interior of the phone was completely gutted. No chassis, no coin mech, no escrow assembly. This allowed me to insert a long screwdriver through the wiring hole and bend the locking lever out of the way. So I've got an open phone that should display nicely, an extra key for the vault, and I didn't have to drill a single thing.

On the other hand, I now need to source pretty much all of the internal components.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

mentalstampede

Does anyone know if Quadrum parts also fit in a 120B?

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

RotarDad

I have also been spanked by the "external only" photos on the first  3-slot I bought.  Like you, I knew better but couldn't pass up the great condition and good price.  I got it put back together, which was very satisfying, and I learned a lot. Yours does look very nice also.  Keep us informed on your progress!
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

This may be a little bit of a long shot, but could it be a display model? Does it look like it was ever used as a payphone, or is there any evidence of anything actually being installed inside?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

mentalstampede

If it was ever installed, it was very gently used. It's hard to tell if there's ever been anything mounted internally. At any rate, I've ordered a hopper, coin mech, and relay since those look like quadrum parts will fit and work. Finding a good "dumb" chassis is the difficult part right now.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 30, 2017, 08:28:40 PM
This may be a little bit of a long shot, but could it be a display model? Does it look like it was ever used as a payphone, or is there any evidence of anything actually being installed inside?

mentalstampede

I'm getting the cart before the horse a little bit, but this is going to be a nice looking phone anyway. I'm super pleased with how well these homebrew instruction cards came out looking.

mentalstampede

Progress. Still trying to get my hands on a dumb chassis, but everything else is in place and ready to go!

DoubleTone

I have one of these 120B GTEs.  It also had those nice, distinctive half-height keys.  But have you noticed the keypad connector?  Seventeen pin, isn't it?  You won't find a replacement board with a 17-pin connector socket.  (Does anything require a 17-pin connector socket?)  I installed a Protel 7000 and had to replace the keypad , plus the upper housing faceplate to accommodate the new keypad's square keys.  My phone was all-original and complete when I got it, but that included the original GTE board, which of course did have a 17-pin keypad socket but which couldn't be programmed without the GTE software.  I even have the complete GTE manual, but programming the original board through the keypad required a "programming pod" (no doubt an LCD screen) or a credit card display screen to see what you're doing and read the phone's feedback.  I couldn't find either device despite several years of hoping and searching.

I very much wish I could have found a way to reuse the original keypad.  But without documentation about the keypad wiring, refitting the keypad with a 25-pin D-Sub plug that the Protel expected wasn't an adventure I wanted to take on. 

I'm a little reluctant to say any of this because I don't want to spoil your own adventure with this phone, but if you do find a way to reuse the original keypad, I'll be eager to know the details.

mentalstampede

That's the thing. I'm not interested in a smart board of any type. The original GTE board for 120B phones was a "dumb" board for use with traditional coin lines. That's the chassis I'm trying to find.

DoubleTone

QuoteThe original GTE board for 120B phones was a "dumb" board for use with traditional coin lines.

As I said, I have the original GTE board, and it's not a dumb board.

mentalstampede

I suppose GTE probably produced smart boards as well, but the 120 type phones date back to the early 1970s. That was way before "smart" payphones were a really a thing. Surely there exists a plain old "dumb​" chassis for these phones. I have seen reference to a 120C chassis, maybe that's the original smart board you have for yours?

DoubleTone

What I have started life as a 120B. Good luck with your project.

xhausted110

Quote from: mentalstampede on May 09, 2017, 03:05:04 PM
I suppose GTE probably produced smart boards as well, but the 120 type phones date back to the early 1970s. That was way before "smart" payphones were a really a thing. Surely there exists a plain old "dumb​" chassis for these phones. I have seen reference to a 120C chassis, maybe that's the original smart board you have for yours?

Dumb chassis definately do exist, and they're quite common I believe.
- Evan

mentalstampede

Quote from: xhausted110 on May 09, 2017, 06:23:27 PM
Dumb chassis definately do exist, and they're quite common I believe.

That said, the one in the picture DoubleTone posted sure looks like a smart board to me, especially since it's also equipped with a low-voltage relay. You learn something new everyday. If I find a good source for a dumb chassis I'll be sure to let you guys know where.

DoubleTone

It looks like a smart board because it is, as I said at the start.