News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old phone numbers preserved

Started by baldopeacock, May 20, 2015, 08:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

Leaving downtown Fort Worth this morning, I noticed this.   

Funny how you live someplace and see things but don't really notice the little stuff.   I've seen this sign before, but I guess it never clicked that the number was shorter than seven characters.   Downtown's preserved much of its old character.    Notice the old EDison-exchange phone number that has been repainted, restored on this building.

Tonyrotary

Nick in Manitou

Its funny that you posted this just now, after having driven past it many times.  Just a few days earlier than your post, I posted a phone number sign that I must have past a hundred times without noticing.  I didn't know where in the forum to post it, so I posted it here...http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14386.msg149872#msg149872

I wonder if there is a topic on the forum for this sort of thing?

I must admit that I am a lover of old signs painted on buildings and I think that saving them, even if it means repainting them, is a real service to the community.

Anyone else have some old painted signs with interesting phone numbers on them to post?

Nick

jsowers

I wish I had taken a picture of what got exposed when they tore this lean-to shed off a concrete block building just outside of town here. It revealed a huge side wall of the building, which used to be a local building supply and appliance store. It was a painted-on sign that said in huge letters, "You can be sure... if it's Westinghouse" and the last word was the largest and in the same font as the ads of the time. You could tell it was a professional job. It also had the W in a circle logo on it.

The side wall made a perfect billboard and was easily seen from a major artery going out of town and I saw that sign for several weeks going home from work until they painted over it:(  It had been protected by that shed and was in perfect condition. The building was for sale (it still is) and I guess they figured that sign wasn't a selling point.

For those who may not know, Westinghouse was a major appliance concern back in the 1950s and 60s. They made great fans, if you've ever seen them. Lots of the appliances on I Love Lucy were Westinghouse since they sponsored Studio One, which was also a Desilu production. Betty Furness was their longtime spokeswoman, demonstrating their appliances live on TV.
Jonathan

19and41

This is probably a newer sign, but it does look pretty nice.  I drove by this place each work day.  It has just changed hands and is expected to be renovated.  I hope it doesnt include the destruction of the sign.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.CZlnADz0QZd51P3buokgqg&pid=15.1
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke