News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Router for Old Rotary Phones?

Started by esoxenvy, November 18, 2010, 07:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esoxenvy

We love our rotary phone, but we recently switched our home phone service to Vonage from Verizon; the new service uses
a high speed internet cable connection for phone service instead of the traditional wall jack.  Other phones in the house besides the primary computer connection are wireless, and only need to plug into an electrical wall outlet.  We like our kitchen rotary phone, but it is still uselessly connected to its wall jack; I'm hoping to find some kind of router\adapter which would allow me to plug the old phone into a wireless application which only needs an electrical outlet.  I'm not sure if this gadget even exists, but I wouldn't think the technology behind it would be very complicated.  Any helpful info out there for this phone dummy??   :P 

Phonesrfun

My Vonage system uses a router that is back-fed into the house wiring with a standard modular phone jack.  The router I have is less than one year old, and it supports rotary dials perfectly.

Does your Vonage router, in addition to the wireless feature also have a jack that you can use to feed wired phones?

I am hard pressed to imagine that it does not, but I could be wrong.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

First, welcome to the forum ;D There are lots of good people here with a wealth of knowledge and resources about old phones. One good resource is Google, a quick search shows lots of suppliers and products out there. Here is one that seems to be popular: http://www.dialgizmo.com/?gclid=CKrlhLnbq6UCFcXD7Qod0iXIYw
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ESalter

I had the same issue.  We have phone service from the cable company at our apartment.  They gave us a cable box and a router gadget that gives us telephone and internet.  There's a 15 pair cable going between all of the rooms in our apartment.  The pair that was connected to the jacks still had talk battery, so I found where that was fed from and cut it.  Now I had all of our rooms still hooked together but isolated from the rest of the building.  The only way I could get our cable dialtone into is was to wire a cord out of the 2554 in our kitchen back to the cable box.  Dialtone was red thru the 2554 to the rest of the rooms.  Worked really slick except for the fact I can't dial with the 302 at my desk - they don't support pulse dialing!

---Eric

AE_Collector

As Eric points out, it isn't rocket science to get all your phones/jacks working again. Run a line from the new phone modem output to the telco entrance point and replace the previous source of dial tone with the new line from your modem. If that sounds like too much work just plug the output of your new modem into the closest jack and then find the old telco input source and disconnect it so you aren't sending your dial tone back to the Telco.

One thing to condsider is if you have an 8 position alarm jack for alarm monitoring OR a lifeline. Backfeeding your new dial tone from a jack will result in the line going through the alarm jack backwards and the alarm system will not be capable of calling the monitoring station. Running a line directly to the old telco input even if it is done via a spare pair in a jack run will keep the alarm connection working properly.

Terry