News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two Latest Acquisitions...

Started by jjflory, March 26, 2017, 08:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjflory

Kellogg Switchboard Phone CO 300 BA for $51.50 and a Serve U Fone Ship Hotel Phone RP 137 A for $16.50.

Anxious to get them later this week. Any thoughts on pricing?  Seemed a good buy on both. Also anyone known a good person that does bakelite buffing?  The Kellogg is going to be a challenge with all the unique lines.  :P

Thanks,

Jeff

jjflory

Kellogg Switchboard Phone CO 300 BA for $51.50 and a Serve U Fone Ship Hotel Phone RP 137 A for $16.50.

Anxious to get them later this week. Any thoughts on pricing?  Seemed a good buy on both. Also anyone known a good person that does bakelite buffing?  The Kellogg is going to be a challenge with all the unique lines.  :P

Thanks,

Jeff

paul-f

Great additions, Jeff.

Both are iconic in their categories.

The Kellogg, of course, is in a totally different class. It seems to be in very good condition and relatively clean.  Hopefully it avoided the numerous small chips and cracks that are common on that model.

Unless you have literally no time available, I'd encourage you to complete the final cleaning and polishing yourself. I have worked on dozens of them, and marvel at the complexity of the design every time I work on one. You are right.  The many lines and corners provide some real entertainment when working on them. The experience will give you a much closer connection to the phone and leave you in control of the type and amount of effort to put into the polishing. Many of us differ in the desired final state of the phone, so trusting someone else to do the work may leave you with a result that doesn't match your preferences. If you do it yourself, there's no one else to blame for the result. You can also be flexible and live with the phone with a few minor imperfections for a while and decide later if you want to be more aggressive in the finishing.

Regarding price, the Kellogg is certainly reasonable, especially if chip and crack-free. I've found Serv U Phones for less, but it's not like you dramatically overpaid. Well done.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line