News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Booth Early Dial Instruction Signage - Real?

Started by RotarDad, March 27, 2017, 11:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

Just saw this on Ebay:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/122415243059

Authentic?  Starting bid of $120 has been placed.  I would guess very few of these survived...
Paul

Stan S

Paul
It's authentic. They were printed on tin.

Below is a scan of page 77 in Ron Knappen's Payphone book. The picture is dated July 2, 1929.
I have two versions in my collection. This is only the second one I've seen listed in the 18 years I've been on Ebay.
They are rare
Stan S.

RotarDad

Stan - Nice signs you have there - they look to be in excellent condition.   I really like the way you have them displayed also.  This Ebay example certainly is not as nice.  Any guess on what it might bring?
Paul

Stan S

Paul
I haven't a clue what it's going to sell for.
I did everything in my power to FORGET what the ones I own cost.
Made no difference at the time. I HAD TO HAVE THEM!

I keep going back and looking at the auction.
Thought I was cured of this.
HELP!

Stan S.

Sargeguy

My payphone is from Boston, although a little later than 1929.  I will definitely be watching this one.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Quote from: Stan S on March 28, 2017, 12:40:41 PM
Paul
I haven't a clue what it's going to sell for.
I did everything in my power to FORGET what the ones I own cost.
Made no difference at the time. I HAD TO HAVE THEM!

I keep going back and looking at the auction.
Thought I was cured of this.
HELP!

Stan S.

There is no cure for Phoneitis!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

War Horse

Holy crap Stan those are nice!  I've never seen one of those before and here you've got two pristine examples.  Wow!

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Payphone installer

There is also a porcelain version that is very rare.

cihensley@aol.com

A picture of the sign on eBay, with most of the defects removed using Photoshop. The below picture was uploaded at 72 ppi. If you want a higher resolution image (300 ppi) send me a DIRECT (not through CRPF) email: cihensley@aol.com  The JPEG image I will send you is 5MB. If you prefer a TIFF image (46MB), we will work something out because it is out of MB range of most email systems. The original sign is 13 and 13/16 by 7 and 3/8 inches.

Chuck

RotarDad

Thanks, Chuck for your work to post this!  Really great job.  Question: how did that extra party line letter work?  Did that correspond to a particular ring (i.e. 2 short) on a single shared line?  I have a couple number cards with that extra letter, and I was wondering what they meant.
Paul

cihensley@aol.com

RotarDad: Yes. The July 2010 TCI newsletter explains the role of alphabetic ringing codes.

Chuck

AL_as_needed

I did not realize 411 was the information number for so long, I still use this from time to time despite having a "smart" phone.
TWinbrook7

andre_janew

Have you ever noticed that most (but not all) smart phones are used by people who aren't very smart?  Also, using such a phone doesn't seem to make them any smarter!