News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Varistors for receiver elements

Started by phone-sweep, May 14, 2013, 04:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phone-sweep

Anyone know the specs on receiver element varistors?  Looking for a source to buy about a 100 or so.....

I'm talking the little rounded cylinder shaped type - sometimes they were green..... Sometimes found on the back of U1 type elements....

TIA

Phonesrfun

I seem to remember a discussion on the TCI listserve  a while back where someone said there is no commercially available direct replacement for them, but I could be wrong.  Two back-to-back 1N34A's might work if the resultant threshhold is low enough for clipping.
-Bill G

poplar1

Check with phoneco (phonecoinc.com). They should have lots of them from the phones they hot-wire (without a subset).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

phone-sweep

OK, thanks for the info....   hmmm, seems like it would be a fairly mundane bit of electronics...

I have sent an email to Phoneco and will post back what they say.... thanks!

twocvbloke

The GPO Rectifier 205 is of the back-to-back diode sort, I haven't a clue how they're meant to work, but they seem to work anyway, well, apart from on my GPO 706 as it still clicks pretty loudly even with said device fitted... :D

phone-sweep

OK, talked to Mary at PhoneCo.  I have 50 black varistors on the way.  25 cents/each.

Unless, I post back, you can assume they work fine.....

Thanks for the help!