News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help me make a decision on this

Started by mienaichizu, August 14, 2009, 11:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

I found this on a local eBay listing (Philippines)

http://tinyurl.com/NEC-Old-Rose
http://tinyurl.com/British-GPO
http://tinyurl.com/Signal-Corps

( dead links 08-04-21 )

An Old Rose NEC Telephone, a Signal Corps and the other looks like a British GPO.
I'm not sure if this phones are in good condition. But it looks in good condition. I emailed the seller regarding this phones, I ask for photos but he just said just to check his eBay listing, no other details are said. This phones are quite cheap rather that the one I posted before (the $100 each phone). If I get it I would be probably spending $276 in all. Still quite expensive but I what these phones, should I get it?? This would be my first eBay negotiation.

foots

I like the Signal Corps phone, but be aware that the handset is from a North Electric phone, not Connecticut Telephone and Electric. Personally I'd go for the GPO since it's one with the slide out drawer and its a great looking phone, though that NEC is nice also.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

I "second" what Mr. Foots said word for word. I gotta admit that I LOVE the color and style of the Rose NEC, but it's also the most expensive.
-Matt

gpo706

I'd go with the Rose, but Im UK never seen anything remotely like it.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

McHeath

I like them all, but if I had to pick one it'd be the GPO job.  But then of course I've never seen a live one in person in my neck of the woods.

Dan

Rose is the rarest, I'd go with that one.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

I like the rose NEC too, albeit a little pricey.  And he doesn't ship, I would have to meet him at Starbucks in Quezon City.  Next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll see if he still has it and have an iced mocha while I'm waiting.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Ramil; meet me in secret just off the public bus at the Starbucks' Coffee Shop in Seattle, and bring the black GPO and Rose NEC for me to observe in person before I make a hasty decision. I'd like to buy a coffee for Brinybay on a senior discount while I think about it. ;)
-Matt

foots

Ramil, I thought about it some more and you ask consider the following: If you decide on the NEC, make sure its because you really like the phone itself and not just its rarity unless you plan on selling it later on. Same with the GPO phone. I'm trying to make a similar decision on 2 phones I've spotted for sale, though there's a possibility I may not get either.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

-Matt

bingster

For those who like the styling of the nifty art deco-ish phones mienaichizu is lucky to find in the Philippines, here's one a little closer to home:

> LINK <
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on August 15, 2009, 06:00:58 AM
Ramil; meet me in secret just off the public bus at the Starbucks' Coffee Shop in Seattle, and bring the black GPO and Rose NEC for me to observe in person before I make a hasty decision. I'd like to buy a coffee for Brinybay on a senior discount while I think about it. ;)

Uh, do you know how many Starbucks there are in Seattle?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

HobieSport

I suppose you've all seen the Lewis Black comedy bit about the proliferation of Starbuck's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlXGotl6TvM

But back to the topic; Ramil; have you made a decision about which of the phones to maybe get? It seems like a hard choice, but I like Foot's idea; get what you love most.

Gosh I still want an NEC. Wish I could get a black one at a reasonable price and shipping, but it is probably not to be...sigh.
-Matt

mienaichizu

Quote from: foots on August 14, 2009, 12:12:05 PM
I like the Signal Corps phone, but be aware that the handset is from a North Electric phone, not Connecticut Telephone and Electric. Personally I'd go for the GPO since it's one with the slide out drawer and its a great looking phone, though that NEC is nice also.

what is the difference between an NORTH ELECTRIC handset and a CONNECTICUT TELEPHONE handset?