News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

After pulling the light socket apart on the shade (it was a bit wonky) and refitting it, I wired in my Bayonet plug to the cable temporarily (I want to get a dark green cloth cable as that bright green one looked a lot different in the picture when I bought it!!) and plugged it into the light socket, and aside from understanding what it was like in the days before wall sockets were more common, it works nicely, and looks quite colourful in the picture... :)

Would have taken the metal shade off the light socket, but it seems the socket has deformed and jammed up, may have to break it (phenolic plastic, so not too hard to split) to release my shade, aswell as replace said socket with a new one cos that one is rather heat damaged... ::)

andy1702

I have an idea...! How about getting one of those round cooker connecting blocks and putting it on the ceiling where the old light is. Then you could discreetly run a cable across the ceiling to the chain and down into the new shade? Unless the plan is to have the paraffin lamp on the chain and leave the electric one where it is, it which case forget I said anything  ;D

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

The plan is the latter, I was going to put the chain where the current light is, but the problem is that I'd be walking into it a lot and breaking mantles (and after doing that several times with my 23, I really don't want to do that!!), the other thing is I don't want to damage the wiring if it got too hot up there, as this is a rented house and all (plus I probably shouldn't have the lamp up there anyway!), so the chain is where it is for a couple of good reasons... :)

That and the chain's more central in the room, the pendant is offset because of an old "modesty" thing where they put the light fitting to one side of the room apparently to reduce the risk of casting shadows on the curtains when undressing, why they specifically say undressing though, I don't know...  ;D

I did think about putting in a batten fitting in place of the current pendant though, but, reaching up there to unplug the glass shade would get annoying, infact I might just extend the pendant with new cable so it hangs lower, but that's for another day, can't move the ladders cos my back is out of order at the moment, so light duties only (pardon the pun)... :)

19and41

Another option could be to try a wall sconce style support for the lamp.  You have the correct font for one.  That was something I was considering for mine as it has a similarly sized, but not as ornate font as yours. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I've seen the wall sconce lamps, and to be honest I'm not that keen on them, as I like my general lighting to be centralised and anything that's off-centre needs to be bolstered up with another light source, so the lamp in the middle of the room will have a better spread of it's light than it would sat on one wall... :)

19and41

Also I watched the video on the open frame bulbs.  I guess I have no problem with them as I am the only one that would handle them.  After a nasty incident in my youth in extracting a not yet cooled amplifier tube, I remove no powered nor hot lamps.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Think you meant to put that reply in the LED lighting thread...  ;D

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

No worries, I've been guilty of that in the past... ;D

Just been lowering the pendant light, first attempt was too low, but that's a good thing at least as I shortened the wire so it's all within reach for unplugging the glass shade, I just need to replace that metal shade with something a bit smaller (it's not a good shade to be honest, attenuates too much light, probably why I only paid 50p for it at a car boot sale!!), but that's for a later date, got to get the Aladdin sorted out and working and all nice first... :)

twocvbloke

Well, you know what the Borg say, resistance is futile, well, I couldn't resist any longer, had to light the lamp without a smoke bell, and it lights the room nicely, not as brightly as the 23 though, but that could just be down to the 14 having been fitted with the short mantle, which I think are equivalent to a 40 watt incandescent lightbulb, whereas the tall mantles (which the 23 has) are 60w equivalent, maybe at a later date I'll swap galleries (saves swapping the mantles and risking breaking them!) to see which is brightest... ;D

Also, you may be able to see a copper coloured ring round where the shade is meant to hang from, been working on ideas to modify the Ikea shade as and when I get one, and a copper wire (taken from 32 Amp mains electrical cabling, the solid core stuff we use for our ring mains) twisted up and soldered together into a ring seems to fit the bill, just need to stop buying other stuff and make a trip to Ikea and pick up a shade... :)

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

The camera makes it look a lot brighter than it is (forgot to set the manual exposure), but it's bright enough that it lights up the room nicely, and in the event of power failure it'll make the neighbours jealous I'm sure...  ;D

andy1702

Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

I've been waiting for powercuts for some time, closest to having a powercut we got was when a thunderstorm rolled right overhead and a bolt struck in the field behind the back shed and the lights went out, but it just turned out that the MCBs tripped in the fusebox, as the streetlights were still on (fed from the same cables as the houses here) which kind of gave it away... :-\

The electricity supply round here is just too damned reliable, well, in a staying on sense, it's pretty poor in staying up at 240v, just last week my UPS units had to kick in & boost the voltage when it dropped to 205v, but didn't drop enough to require the use of any of my backup lighting...  ;D

andre_janew

Electric power is very reliable during a storm if you live in or very close to the city.  If you live in a rural area a few miles outside the city, you have a better chance of being in a power outage during a storm.  Then you will be able to really use your lamps.